best sub $1000 acoustic?

jal278

• Members

Get a Larrivee D-3, L-3 or their Orchestra model. I had a D 3 I got new on Ebay for $ 500. I wanted a cutaway so I got a DV-03R, which , if information is accurate, they aren't making right now. I treid Tacomas, Seagulls, and even a Yairi but none had the tone I was looking for like the Larrivee.

• Members

I agree the Martin 15 series is excellent. On my list to own is their D-17. That is above $1,000 (although not by much) and it is very similar to their D-15. The all mahogany body produces a very warm tone. I played a D-15 and it sounded awesome!

I used to own a Tacoma jm9, at least I think that wsas the model numver. It is their satin finish jumbo. It ran a little under $700, and had a real nice warm tone. It actualy sounded best with elixir strings.

• Members

The $995 model I'm considering right now is the Larrivee LV-03E which has a cutaway and B-band ust. You can get a D-03 drednought for about $700 or about $800 with a pu. Very good for the money. Great acoustic sound and the B-band's are excellent. For some reason the fret ends seem to be longer than the fretboard is wide here in Georgia. I'm wrestling with that problem in my head.

• Members

Sub $1K list or street price? At the $1000 price point, you can get a ton of guitar. Any Taylor 300 series (not ce), Martin 16GT, for about $1200 you can get into D18 territory, Nice Larrivees (05) can be had for about $1k, Adamas for about $1200, Nice Takamines, etc, etc... There are a ton of them out there.

• Members

Martin 15,16,17,18 series....let's see, bang for the buck would be 15 series/16 series.17 series is a more detailed version of the 15 series.You can't go wrong with an 18 series.David Crosby,Jimmy Buffett,and many others use the 18's as their guitar of choice.

• Members

For 1000.00 think about trying to find a guitar that retails for 2000.00 yet half price. You are in a buyers market and the guitar dealers are overstocked. www.samusic.com sold a Legend OM worth 3000.00 for 1100.00 last week or so. Geeeeez those deals are floating around all the time.

I know another guy that bought a 2500.00 Larrivee L-05 for 999.00 new with warranty. Those deals only pop up once a month or so but you should really shoot for the stars with 1000.00

Why get some off brand or budget model when you can get a real all wood guitar. Seagulls are great but 1000.00 gets you OUT of that class.

• Members

I agree completely with LittleBrother.

Within the past two years I have purchased two Larrivee OM-09s brand new with warranty for under $1,000.

I've also purchased an Om-10 and a 00-09 used for under $1,000. (Can you tell I like Larrivees?)

My first Paragon was $1,000, too, though that's not likely to happen again. The point is, if you're spending that much cash there are bargains to be had if you look for a while.

• Members

also take a look at Gibson maybe , the Wm-45 I have seen "new" on Ebay for $799 and to my ears offers a lot of bang for the buck , seems that there are some real deals to be had now in that range if local prices are any indication .

cheers

Archived