Taylor 214 and Larrivee OM-03: how do they compare?

kwakatak

• Members

Neither have electronics, cutaways or other frills which IMO tend to drive the price tag up. What they both DO share is solid wood construction.

I've tried this particular Larrivee model but not the Taylor - I only got a crack at a 414CE that cost 2X the price at GC! :rolleyes:

Does anyone have opinions or observations on the Taylor?

• Members

I've played 2 Taylor 214s and this is my observation. Typical Taylor action, quite nice. Ebony fingerboard, Sapele B&S, Sitka top and a less than desireable satin finish. The guitars played well, but I am not sure if they are as good of value as the Larrivee. Both guitars list at about the same price within $100.

One thing that I do not like about the 214 is the neck. It feels flimsy and rough. I do however love the Taylor X14 size. it is one of the most versatile & comfortable models I have ever played. One more thing, the forward strap button on the 214s are screwed right into the side - yuck.

Soundwise, I can't tell you because I haven't played the Larrivee. The 214s emphasis is on the treble side & responds pretty well to fingerpicking. Very light guitar.

'Mo

• Members

I've played 2 Taylor 214s and this is my observation. Typical Taylor action, quite nice. Ebony fingerboard, Sapele B&S, Sitka top and a less than desireable satin finish. The guitars played well, but I am not sure if they are as good of value as the Larrivee. Both guitars list at about the same price within $100.

One thing that I do not like about the 214 is the neck. It feels flimsy and rough. I do however love the Taylor X14 size. it is one of the most versatile & comfortable models I have ever played. One more thing, the forward strap button on the 214s are screwed right into the side - yuck.

Soundwise, I can't tell you because I haven't played the Larrivee. The 214s emphasis is on the treble side & responds pretty well to fingerpicking. Very light guitar.

'Mo

Thanks! That kind of puts it in perspective. Sounds like at the Larrivee is a better value, but I had my reservations because I don't quite know what I'm looking for. Taylors are a dime a dozen around here (but cost more which is just ridiculous IMO) and I had to make a special trip across town to try the Larrivee OM-03 which listed for around $800 at this particular store.

The Larrivee sounds like it's everything the Taylor isn't - a solid, weighty guitar (felt like it was made of stone when I set it on my leg) with good projection and warm tone. I may have to give it a second look.

• Members

I have a pre-Ovankol 414CE and I've spent a fair amount of time playing a friend's Ovankol 414CE.

I also had temporary custody of a 214 for several weeks.

In my opinion, the 414CE doesn't really give an accurate impression of the 214. They share the same basic body shape, of course, but there are significant differences in sound and feel. I wouldn't make a buying decision on a 214 based on playing a 414CE.

One thing I would recommend -- if you try a 214, have somebody else play it while you sit in front of it. When I had the 214, three out of three guitarists who fooled with it commented that it sounds better in front of the guitar than on top of it. It didn't sound bad to the player at all, but the sound seemed to have more volume and life from the audience's perspective.

Unlike bigmo, I absolutely love the 214's neck. It has a distinctive feel, though -- a slight "V" with noticeable wood texture. This might be a love or hate thing.

Compared to the 414CE, the 214 seems to have more upper-midrange emphasis. Of course, we're talking about a 414CE that has been played constantly for a few years versus an almost-new 214 that still had some of that new guitar "tightness".

The nut widths are also different -- 1 11/16" on the 214 versus 1 3/4" on the 414CE.

I've tried a few Larrivees in shops and have yet to find one with a sound I like. Everyone else seems to like them, though, so I might just have bad luck.

Archived