Acoustic aesthetics (woods and finishes)

built to refill

• Members

Visually I'm partial to acoustics made from darker woods, but I've noticed that most acoustics have very yellowy/light-colored tops to them. I'm assuming that these lighter woods give the guitar a more desirable tone / projection, whereas darker woods don't?

I've also noticed that most guitars don't come with different finishes. It's just natural, and every now and then a black, or one of those Gibson bursts. Is this because the more coats you've got on the wood the less toneful it is? Or is the acoustic-buying community just into the color of wood?

Finally: the rosewood fretboards. I'm sure there's a logical reason why most all acoustics come with rosewood fretboards, so what is it?

Thanks again guys :)

- Bobby.

• Members

Spruce is the most popular wood for tops-the light wood you're refering to. Cedar is a little darker-looks like aged spruce. Mahogony is used on Martin D-15's which are all solid and a pretty good deal if you like that sound-a little darker from what I understand. I've never played one. Koa is another dark wood which is sometimes used for tops. Avlerez makes a reasonably priced (about $500) solid koa topped guitar which sounds similar to spruce in my experience, but there may be a subtle difference. Nice looking too.

• Members

Spruce also tends to darken with age - it goes from the yellowish tone to a warm honey-golden color. I have a Takamine that is 30 yeas old and it's laminated spruce top has been this color ever since I first had it over 10 years ago. I don't think that it's really affected the tone of the instrument, however.

Archived