Classical Guitar Posse

opivy

• Members

so yea. unite yo!

someday i will learn Recuerdos de la Alhambra, that will be joyous indeed. thank god for classical... awesome music, challenging as anything, and my dumbass friends don't know about it :D

• Members
Originally posted by opivy

so yea. unite yo!

someday i will learn Recuerdos de la Alhambra, that will be joyous indeed. thank god for classical... awesome music, challenging as anything, and my dumbass friends don't know about it
:D

Great post. yeah, it's funny to think about all the young people slaving away at learning to sweep pick shred licks and so on.
Playing Recuerdos de la Alhambra fast and clean, now that's a manly task... or womanly.

• Members

i have to say that my favorite classical tremelo piece to play is Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios". One of those pieces that reaches me. but i do love "recuerdos".

Glad that i finally found a place where i can jam with some fellow classical players! slaving over the third movement of "the cathedral" right now.

• Members

I am an electric guitar player of several years that has only recently started on the classical guitar, but I am quickly becoming addicted to the "organic" feel and tone of the nylon strings.

So please recommend me some good beginner pieces to learn in the short term, and some "hard core" virtuoso pieces to aspire to in the long term, thanks :)

But hey, don't dis sweeping licks :mad::(
They are fun to do :cool:

• Members

yeah. in tremelo the A, M, and I fingers are playing the treble part alternating with the bass part played with the thumb. it is a really great technique.

Edit: if you want to listen to a couple of other pieces using this technique, download:

La Ultima Cancion (Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios) by Barrios,

and

Campanas de Alba, by Sainz de la Maza

• Members

what really sucks is, i wanna learn it NOW but my geetar teacher tells me how it took him 15 years.

That long? wow... :eek::confused:

i'd love to learn to shred though... i still love the death metal man
:D

I am always trying to broaden my musical horizons/range too :)

A bit OT, but I personally find that shredding is mostly about the pick's angle of attack and left/right hand relaxation. Really fast alternate picking and sweeping ability was literally gained overnight once I realized that. But the hard part is actually have something musical to say with that speed, which is part of the reason I am beginning to get into real Classical guitar playing (so listening to Neoclassical Shredding is good for something after all :D

• Members

yea, i wish it were that easy for me. i can play fast in bursts, but i need to learn to straight up tremolo pick really fast and for long periods of time. its not so much solos that concern me anyways, i'd be satisfied with metal rhythm playing.

...because then i can scream :D

i'm aware that its all about relaxation, i've been practicing it slowly but i have to be anal about perfection. which is tough. i guess i need to focus more *cough* quit the wrestling team *cough* but how do you mean pick angle? i'm curious.

• Members

one practice technique that makes tremelo a little easier and less tiring on your right hand is to play your A, M, and I fingers together on the 1st string. Alternate AMI with P instead of breaking the fingers apart.

Tremelo is a technique that can't really be practiced slowly because the movement requires more of a sweeping motion and less of an alternation of the fingers, which is what your muscles are doing when playing tremelo slowly.

So after playing with AMI and P break the fingers apart. When I am practicing my tremelo pieces, i always do this to avoid fatigue.

• Members

I love classical guitar. I've been playing it for roughly 2 years. I dont think I'll ever come close to Bream but it's certainly another useful trick to have in the bag. Whether it be in a session or teaching situation.

Im learning two modern pieces; Leo Brouwer - Elogio De La Danza and Villa Lobos - Prelude No.1. Good fun, with the Brouwer piece being more difficult. Sepultura ripped off a few Brouwer riffs, check out the allegro part of that piece and you'll see why.

I'd really like to learn the piece Capricho Arabe though. That's an awesome piece.

• Members
Originally posted by AJWhiting

one practice technique that makes tremelo a little easier and less tiring on your right hand is to play your A, M, and I fingers together on the 1st string. Alternate AMI with P instead of breaking the fingers apart.

Tremelo is a technique that can't really be practiced slowly because the movement requires more of a sweeping motion and less of an alternation of the fingers, which is what your muscles are doing when playing tremelo slowly.

So after playing with AMI and P break the fingers apart. When I am practicing my tremelo pieces, i always do this to avoid fatigue.

Interesting, I was just wondering about that :)

So would it be correct to say that the tremolo motion is similar to the rasquedo (sp) motion, but reversed in direction and done only on one string?

• Members

That is a great piece by Barrios! Also, don't forget his other great tremolo piece "Sueno en la Floresta" which I actually like even a little better than Una Limosna.

Barrios was the undisputed master of this technique IMHO, not just in his physical ability but compositionally, in the way he would interweave the tremolo line with secondary melodies in the lower voices.>

• Members
Originally posted by Leo Chang

So would it be correct to say that the tremolo motion is similar to the rasquedo (sp) motion, but reversed in direction and done only on one string?

yeah, i guess that would be right! i have never thought of it. tremelo is like a small, reverse, controlled rasqueado. that could work....:)

• Members
Originally posted by AJWhiting

yeah, i guess that would be right! i have never thought of it. tremelo is like a small, reverse, controlled rasqueado. that could work....
:)

speaking of which, rasgueado is badass.

and i'm seeing Paco Pena on february 1st :-D twill be fun, i loves the flamenco

• Members

Just downloaded "Recuerdos de Alhambra" by Segovia.... did he play both the tremolo part and the moving bass line (for lack of a better term) on one guitar at the same time?
:eek:

yep....it's incredible to hear it played in person.

• Members

I am an electric guitar player of several years that has only recently started on the classical guitar, but I am quickly becoming addicted to the "organic" feel and tone of the nylon strings.

So please recommend me some good beginner pieces to learn in the short term, and some "hard core" virtuoso pieces to aspire to in the long term, thanks
:)

But hey, don't dis sweeping licks
:mad::(
They are fun to do
:cool:

get Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar One and Two. THere are LOTS of pieces in there that will keep you very busy foor the next 5-6 years.:D

• Members
Originally posted by Beagle1

That is a great piece by Barrios! Also, don't forget his other great tremolo piece "Sueno en la Floresta" which I actually like even a little better than Una Limosna.

Barrios was the undisputed master of this technique IMHO, not just in his physical ability but compositionally, in the way he would interweave the tremolo line with secondary melodies in the lower voices. >

John Williams also does a killer version of Alhambra.

• Members

speaking of which, rasgueado is badass.

and i'm seeing Paco Pena on february 1st :-D twill be fun, i loves the flamenco

saw them last year. Paco came out by himself and played. I kept looking for the other guitarists, then realized it was just him. :eek: Loved everything about it, but didn't care for the singing very much.

Archived