12 String Suggestions

Stratocast60

• Members

Guitar Player did a review of a Garrison and loved it because of the Buzz Feiten system, which keeps the doubled strings intonated better. Worth a look. I don't understand why they list the retail price and then a street price which is only about 10% off-is that all you really get on a Garrison? Anyway, Taylor 12 strings sound incredible, but of course it's a lot more than a Balladeer. I'm not trying to talk you out of the Ovation, just other options. For plugging in, they're great-the electronics really belie the fact that it's not all wood. If you don't plan on plugging in, just trust your ears-you either like'em or you don't. I'd check the HC review boards for reliability for each brand-there's a lot more stress on the neck and bridge/top.

• Members

I like jumbo 12 strings, personally.

The Alvarez AJ60S-12 or Washburn J28S12DL have both caught my eye. Both are laminated maple sides and back with solid spruce tops. The Washburn's maple is flamed, the Alvarez is not. I've only had the chance to play the Alvarez - it's comfortable to play and has a decent but bright tone.

I prefer either of these guitars without a cutaway because they're useless IMO; 12 strings are best for strumming and arpegiation - strictly rhythm and not lead. I also prefer to skip the internal electronic preamps as well - I just think that they will crap out before the guitar does, so why bother?

Without these two options you also save $$$; I've seen them list for $500-$600.

• Members

Can you find a Tacoma of any model to try? I am very happy with mine (JM1612C). I was also recently very impressed by a Seagull S12 - sound and price. I played a Melissa Ethridge Ovation at a Mars liquidation last year - NO! Taylor - 300's NO! 400's - NO! Leo - Yes! Ask me about my Guild.

Archived