Cobalt C850 arrived today!

u6crash

• Members

I'm more or less pleased with it. I really doubt I'll send it back. I've never owned a dreadnought, so it takes some getting used to. It has lower action than most guitars I've played in stores, but not than the Yamaha APX-SPLI it's replacing. I had taken that one to a luthier not far from here who replaced the nut and actually lowered the bridge itself (not just the saddle).

Anyway, it sounds decent to me. I've heard some people complain about the Elixirs that come standard. Not sure how I feel about them yet, but when I get new strings, I'll probably stick with Martin SP's. As far as actual setup and feel goes, it's on par or better with most models I've tried in guitar stores. The priciest model I tried was some $800 Martin. Anything $1200+ was way out of my price range, so I didn't bother.

I can see why the Fishman preamp thing is referred to as a "barndoor". Man, that thing just opens up wide and takes up space. Does it suck tone out? I dunno. Keep in mind I'm upgrading from a Yamaha with a small body covered in plastic that was used when I got it five years ago.

I've noticed that it smells pretty too :D

Thoughts? Questions? That's all for me for now unless I have some epiphany while playing later.

• Members

You are going to dig that box big time, and get pretty attached to it over the years I bet. Those daddies are durable!

Yes...get the Elixers off of there and try it with your favorite strings. Take it to a guitar shop and plug it in too. The people at the shop will probably ask you to try it out. LET THEM, and stand back and listen to how it really sounds...then soak in their feedback on what a nice instrument you got for a reasonable price.

• Members

Yeah, Take those Elixers off and try Martin Darco 2200. Great strings for $3.00. Carle suggested them to me and I will be sticking with them for awhile. I've read some posts on Carvins forums, those saying they didnt like the Martin SP's on their guitar. The Darco' sound very nice on my C780. I prefer them much more than elixers.

Archived