Fake Taylor 914 on Ebay

VIP

• Members

Hmmm, are you guys sure it's a fake? The seller's got great feedback and the thing looks pretty good. It's certainly not a new model, the inlay is all wrong, but Taylor changed their inlay when they went to the new Expression system. This one doesn't even have electronics, it is a straight acoustic. Could it be some NOS that's been sitting around for a while? Maybe something that someone bought and just stuffed in a closet? But, LB you're right--where's the case? And that ain't no Taylor shipping carton (but, if I were selling mine I wouldn't have my old Taylor shipping carton either.) I'm not biting, but I'm not convinced either.

• Members

You can just about read the serial number so I guess a message over to the Taylor Forum....whoops.....ohhhh, maybe a call to Bob himself??? :D

It really does not look like a Taylor, let alone a fancy 9 series. The headstock is different, and the tuning buttons look cheap. I think it's a fake.

• Members

is a fake!! look at the headstock, hmm all that fancy binding then, a transfer over the stuff? the wood is cheap, the shape aint even right, and the back, like he said asswood. as an owner of one of these fine instruments, this is deffo an asswood special.

if it is a taylor, they should have shot this deformity at birth. :p

• Members

That thing is a total fake. Not even close on body shape, bridge or headstock. Not to mention that the inlay prior to the ES series guitars was the Cindy inlay which that certainly is not. Taylor never, ever made a 900 series with round fret dots.

• Members

looks like a rare piece of cow dung to me.

what's up with that headstock? and the bridge!?!

the back of that guitar looks worse than my $200 Yamaha solid top! The tuners look like chrome plated plastic dinnerware, and the fretmarkers are little pearloid dots. the fretboard looks like treebark from the dude's backyard!! what the heckla?!

at least if you're trying to rip somebody off you should put some effort into it, gosh!

• Members

I have seen 900 series Taylors since they first started making them, and none of them looked like that! And none of them looked as trashy as that one, either.

I emailed the seller with a nice message that told him to be careful selling it because it looks like a counterfeit and he wouldn't want to have his reputation as a seller tarnished. We'll see if he responds.

-JimVW

• Members

Notice, too, that all of his positive feedback is for buying things like a $2.50 pair of shoes or a $5 dress.

It seems likely that he spent $100 or so building up cheap positive feedback so he could make a big score.

-JimVW

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Probably a Korean copy. They can copy anything. Looks like that wasn't even a good copy.

Looks like Ebay yanked the auction. You're right about the Koreans. Here's an example:

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$3NX5SWAAAAECXTZENUFJPQWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C1088259&PRID=1319925

Brent

• Members

I e-mailed him some questions right after I posted my earlier comment. The more I looked at it, the more I started to doubt. I specifically asked him if it was a fake and pointed out the incorrect inlays, lack of electronics (all 900 series that I know of have electronics), the missing case, and the general cheap vibe that the thing gave off. He never replied. I'm guessing he pulled it when he got found out . . .

Another potential tragedy foiled by the crack investigators of the HC fraud squad.:D

Archived