Upgrading starter acoustic guitars - is it worth it?

kwakatak

• Members

I have two cheap early 1970s starter guitars that I am considering on upgrading in order to keep them on as travel/campfire guitars or even something for the kids to learn on one day. One is the Takamine in my sig which is a pretty good laminated dread that I've already invested $100 into. The other is a 000 that I learned to play on but is made of low grade plywood. Somehow both are still structurally sound after all these years.

These instruments still have the potential of being played on a regular basis for several hours a day around the house or on trips. Bear in mind that I am no longer a beginner, but given that I have a small child, a hyperactive feline and only one hardshell acoustic case I don't want to have to worry about dings and scratches.

Is it worth it to invest in any one or more of the following components: new tuning mechanisms, upgraded TUSQ or plastic saddle and nut, new bridge pins, etc.? Or would I be wasting my money and actually justified in purchasing a higher quality instrument?

• Members

I would strongly recommend you do invest in a TUSQ saddle. They're only about $6-10 depending on the source, and IMO the best saddle for tone even moreso than ivory or bone. A lam guitar is usually rather dull sounding, and TUSQ will liven them up, probably a LOT. The rest i'd leave alone unless they are problematic, IE: tuners that arent solid enogh to hold tune or tune up reasonably easy. or a nut thats too low or cracked or whatever. Pins too....wouldn't worry about that. The real improvement in tone is gonna come from the saddle, and TUSQ is IMO the best bang for the buck there is. Even tho the guitars may be worth very little, the investment of TUSQ is like a set of strings, yet may well dounle the tone quality. I have tried bone and just the other day ivory in my Larrivee as i have done with a few other guitars. But TUSQ wins out every time. Others will disagree, but i think with cheap guitars it's even more of a benefit.

• Members

I agree with dazco-1 on this. Upgrading the saddle from plastic to bone or tusq will revolutionize the guitar's sound. They are cheap and easy to make and install yourself--maybe $5.00-10.00. Have a luthier do it for $30.00. Another improvement would be a new nut. Again bone or tusq would make tuning far easier and more precise. Lastly, I'd upgrade the tuners, a good set of Grover's will set you back $30.00-40.00. Take them off and put the old ones back on if you ever get rid of it.

Saddles are an easy home-brew sort of thing. Nuts are a different story. My tech will cut and install a new nut for about $30.00. So lets do the math:

$5.00 for a bone saddle, $35.00 for tuners, $30.00 for a nut--total of about $70.00. All on Mastercard. Sounding and playing like a new guitar--priceless.

• Members

If you were upgrading only to increase sale value, I'd say there may not be much bang for the buck. But, to upgrade for your own enjoyment, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I added bone saddle/nuts, pickguards, ebony buttons and pins and inlaid TRCs to my inexpensive Larrivees and they "make them my own" if you know what I mean. Go for it!

• Members

You can get a JLD Bridge Doctor from StewMac for about $21. It installs easily and has been known to make guitars such as the ones you mention turn into tone monster favorites.

I put one into a Yanmaha FG-110E. It definitely improved the tone and sustain - now if I can find a 10 minute neck resetter product for about $12...

Inother words, something else MAY eventually go out on it.

I think old guitars are worth renovating as long as possible.

• Members

I gotta check out that Bridge Doctor from Stewmac, but right now the bridge on my Tak is still pretty secure. In fact, I had a luthier plane it level so everything seems to be OK. I try to watch the humidity but being a laminate I don't stress out over it. The frets are still in good shape and I had a new plastic saddle put in which dramatically affected the tone so it does clean up well. The tuners are nickel and did warp somehow but I had them repaired and now they retain tune well enough.

As for that 000 one of the tuners snapped off and each side (3 tunning pegs) is a single unit. Despite being a laminated guitar as well the body is still solid and there seems to be no tension/humidity-related strain or bowing. There is some wear that has exposed the middle layer of the laminate and from what I can tell it's some sort of plywood that is IMO inferior to the triple spruce layer of my Takamine.

• Members

Originally posted by Preacher Will

$5.00 for a bone saddle, $35.00 for tuners, $30.00 for a nut--total of about $70.00. All on Mastercard. Sounding and playing like a new guitar--priceless.

I agree with what everybody is saying here. My only other thought is that you need to consider your total upgrade costs versus what you can get in a new guitar for not that much more.

I have seen some amazing quality guitars come out of China recently and sell for between $100-200. They were fully bound, with beautiful mahogany back/sides/neck, spruce top, and rosewood bridge/fretboard. They played and sounded as good as they looked.

I have upgraded a cheap Fender acoustic, and while it plays and sounds great now, I think the second time around I would opt for a new guitar over an upgraded beater.

Archived