Keeping the Martin

dgpratt

• Members

Well the wife and I blew the money we were going to spend on the deck on all sorts of little things that came up unexpectedly, so (and many of you know where this is going) I will be selling a couple guitars to fund the deck.

I decided to keep the Martin D-16RGT. But that means the Larrivee and my Soloette practice guitar are going. I'm going to be down to three guitars... the Martin, my classical, and my strat. I guess that's a pretty well-rounded group.

I was toying for a while with selling the Martin also and getting a CA Guitars carbon-fiber bluegrass dreadnaught, but I couldn't find one to try out. I did find a used Rainsong dreadnaught to try and my Martin absolutely BLEW IT AWAY. I expected some loss of tone, but this was ridiculous. The Martin's a keeper. Now, when I look at my precious Larrivee, I'll just have to visualize playing the Martin out on the new deck. As soon as I build it...

• Members

Don't do it! Decks are way too much trouble - especially after a long wet winter. I already have a deck that is not worth all the work I have to put into it every spring - cleaning, sanding, repainting, and that's just the beginning of my 'honey-do' list! :mad:

Tell her that that nice rosewood OM won't attract near as much carpenter ants into your house as a new deck would! ;)

• Members

I kinda know how you feel. I had to sell all of my guitars/musical instruments for financial reasons. Fortunately, I was able to keep just one guitar. You guessed it...it was my beloved D-16RGT! If I am down to one guitar...this is the one I am content to keep. Although, I really do miss having a mahogany guitar around. I really have GAS for a Larrivee D-03BW in my future someday, hopefully.

Hope all works out okay for you!

Jeff

• Members

Don't, whatever you do, get a deck. Tell your wife I know a family that got a deck and a year later they found out that a pack of rats and mice had nested under there. :D Then keep the Larrivee. If you need me to I will send an affidavit.

Archived