Played a '79 Larrivee this weekend

bullpencoach

• Members

It was pretty solid. Of course, priced at $1800 it was twice what I would expect to pay for a new OM-03. I did really like the neck profile - nice and thick. Can anyone tell me if that still holds true today? As far as the sound goes I was reasonably impressed, but I should say that there were many people in the store, several of whom were also playing, so it wasn't an ideal listening test. It wasn't quite as lively as I expected, but then, I don't know if I should be factoring age in, or in what way, since I've never played Larrivees before. I'm still very interested in a new one, but I'm having a hard time finding dealers who actually have them in stock.

• Members

Not sure what model you played, but that sounds like a lot of dough for a 25 year old Larry. If it was a fancy gloss finished model, however, it should sell for a lot more than the plain, satin finished OM3, so I am not sure whether the comparison is fair. You are sure right about scarce dealerships with thin inventories, and purchasing a guitar model which you have never played can be a very anxious experience. IMO the big Larrivee decisions are body size and tonewoods, since you basically get fancier trim as you rise through their standard line (03,05,09). Of course, there are also the bluegrass and slope shouldered models to choose from as well.

Actually I believe Manny's (or is it Rudy's) keeps a pretty decent Larrivee inventory, so you don't have to venture too far from Brooklyn. Definitely call first before you trek into Manhattan.

• Members

Thanks 54Merk. I actually work very close to Manny's - I may just drop by today and ask. Haven't seen any Larrivees in the back acoustic room before, but maybe I just missed them.

I have spoken to Dave at guitar adoptions, and he definitely has the right price. I just need to play one and compare it to the smaller body Martins.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

http://www.mannysmusic.com/catalog/search.asp?departmentid=0&brandid=1723

Yep, according to their site they've got 'em. I've never shopped for guitars on 48th Street (music row) but from what everyone says, it does not sound like they are very willing to bargain. Great opportunity to play 'em though before buying one for a great price from Dave.

• Members

Thanks again. Went in yesterday; they actually had about 5 or 6 Larrivees. Not the OM-03 that I want, but I did get to play a D-03 and D-03R. Nice stuff. I'm starting to feel that the recording series Larrivees are a really good value. It's still a lot of money for me, but I've been playing a lot of Martins at 2-3 times the price. I think it's time I had a solid wood guitar.

• Members

IMO, you won't be disappointed by the volume or midrange-centric tone of the mahogany OM-03. The presence is pretty good for such a small, shallow-bodied guitar. I've also heard good things about the OM-03R (rosewood) and the rare OM-03BW (Blackwood).

• Members

A '79 Larrivee is an exceptional guitar. Consider the work force at the time and you'll get what I'm talking about. I would be hard-pressed to justify spending that much for one, but I don't think the figure is entirely unreasonable.

Archived