Are Garrison guitars good?

WilsonMak

• Members

I haven't seen anyone talk about these babies. I like the exo skeleton the Garrison guitar has it looks very kool. I imgine it might be a little bit too heavy. But have never had the pleasure of trying one out. Is the exo skeleton worth it? Does it sound good?

• Members

I bought a Garrison G40 back in April, tried it out for a day and returned it the next day for a Taylor 214. First off, the G40 had great build quality, nice woods, abalone dots, but i found it heavy. The sound, however, seemed very "weak". Bass not quite bassy enough and trebles not quite loud enough. It had light gauge strings on, i even put a set of mediums but just couldn't quite get the sound volume and tone. I returned it the next day, tried out a basic Taylor 214 which seemed to have more depth and warmth in its sound. The G40 i returned is still at the store, and several times returning, i've played it again to see. Well, several times same conclusion. Looks and build is great but sound just didn't cut it. Until i found the Taylor 214, i was instead going to buy a lower cost Seagull S6 to replace the Garrison as even the Seagull sounded fuller and had more warmth to me than the G40. It just seemed to lack the depth and warmth that the cheaper Seagulls had even. I tried several model Garrison's and they seemed to have this same "not quite there" sound.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by taylorguitarman

I've played a few but haven't been very impressed. There are other guitars I like better for the money. Seagulls, 15 series Martins, and even Blueridge (if you find the right one). I'm sure there are nice ones but I'm not a fan.

I will agree with taylorguitarman's comments............there just seems to be something "missing" with the Garrisons that I've sampled......:(

• Members

Well, I guess I will offer my opinion on this one.....I bought a Garrison G20 12 string and I love the sound of it......admittedly I am not an expert in this area and have just returned to playing after a hiatus of 30 years. It is a little heavy but I just love its sound.

BE :) :) :)

• 16 years later...
  • Members

I used to rep for Garrison in the early days of the company covering the Midwest USA territory. I worked for Crafter guitars as well which had some great sounding and affordable models. At first I was hesitant about the carbon fiber skeleton. The ‘all wood’ guitars seemed to initially be louder to me. Then I was jamming with a friend who was playing his Taylor 614 series guitar and I was playing my G25. He asked if he could play my guitar. When we traded, I realized my guitar was louder, Fuller, and broader sounding. Was us better? Heck no! His guitar was a cutaway, mine was not. His was new, mine was 3 years old at the time and had been played a lot! Mine was birch with a cedar top. His was maple with a Spruce top. Tons of variables here. His will bellow more completely in time than mine.  Garrison guitars project their sound out so the player isn’t necessarily the recipient of their overall sound. When I got off the road, I opened a music store. I was a Taylor dealer. I’ve A-B tested my G25 and my G40 against a Taylor 400 series as well as most of their lower end models. The G25 sounded better in my opinion than mist,  but the Higher end G40 was a bit stiff sounding to me. To be fair, again, the Taylor guitars were new and the G25 I had played for years. These guitars are not for everyone and NO company makes a perfect guitar, too many variables, but my G25 is a gem. Just lucky I guess.  Sorry to be so long winded. I’ve been retired a long time and that old road dog pops out once in a while. 

• 1 month later...

Archived