Tommy Emmanuel tab?

kwakatak

• Members

Does anyone know where there is good quality tab of Tommy Emmanuel music? So far all I've found is Powertab for "I've Always Thought of You", but I'd really like the tab for TE's version of "Imagine" or "The Man With the Green Thumb".

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Okay, I just disocvered there are some other songs on Powertab that may be interesting which I haven't heard before. Please recommend some other good Tommy tunes!

BTW, I've heard "Day Tripper/Lady Madonna" and the tab is there, but I don't I'll ever be able to master it! :o

• Members

Neil,

The best quality tabs of Tommy's music are currently to be found in the songbook for "Only" by Mark Pritcher. Mark runs the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society conventions and is a personally friend of Tommy's. So, the transcriptions in this book are about as good as it gets. I would highly recommend you spring for it...not only for the quality of the transcriptions but also then Tommy maybe gets a little bit of royalties ;)

Another good book with tabs of Tommy's music is "Solo Guitar Style: Tommy Emmanuel" by Paul Hedman and Peter Pik. The book has every thing you would want to know about Tommy's influences and technique. The transcriptions are very accurate because the authors worked closely with Tommy on it. Most of Tommy's "Beatles Medley" (Daytripper, Taste of Honey, Lady Madonna) is tabbed out here. It sure did take me a while to develop the coordination to play that opening in Daytripper...but if you keep at it every day for a couple weeks it will come to you.

I think you have to be careful with the Powertab stuff. Some of it is quite good, but much of it is not 100% accurate, at least as far as the Tommy stuff I've seen. I haven't seen any transcriptions of Green Thumb or Imagine. I actually learned Green Thumb myself off the recording. I should really write it down at some point but it is so time-consuming to do this...I would much rather spend that time learning more of Tommy's songs! ;)

• Members

The recorded version of Tommy's tunes are the only ones that remain the same since they are on Cd's or video. When he plays on stage he changes the tune some. He keeps the basic line but plays it like he feels that day or nite as the case may be. He is so good at improvising that it's almost unreal to hear him change the tune on stage.

• Members

Thanks everyone! :)

I have to agree on the Powertab stuff. There's one in particular that is just too simple IMO - no bass line! I may try to transcribe "Imagine" myself - it's not nearly as crazy as his other stuff. I have a Powertab of Chet Atkins doing it and it sounds pretty similar so I at least have somewhere to start with!

Archived