how hard is it for you guys to talk yourselves out of buying another acoustic?

EvilTwin

• Members
Originally posted by kwakatak

The chilling silence that my wife gives me when I even say the word "guitar" is enough to put out my GAS fire.
:(

That silent treatment can go on for days too. My "long suffering" girlfriend does not understand that I was born with a guitar in my hands, (actually, I have a picture of me with a plactic guitar at about three) and they are not just toys to me. I've got some home studio expenditures coming up soon so I've already made the bed up in my loft/studio.

• Members
Originally posted by EvilTwin

It's getting pretty hard for me. I have a great Tacoma DM18, but my GAS disease has been telling me for months that I need a Larrivee L-03 or L-05. Damn you, Jean Larrivee...
:D

The Rosewood L-09's are very nice too! That would make a great compliment to your Spruce/ Mahogany dread............:)

• Members
Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

The Rosewood L-09's are very nice too! That would make a great compliment to your Spruce/ Mahogany dread............
:)

I'd love an L-09 (a guy who has really influenced me a lot the past few years uses one a lot), but they're a bit out of my price range.

I'm watching some L-03R's on eBay. :) Here's hoping for a deal.

• Members

Trust me when I say, Dealers do NOT make out like Bandits. It's a very competetive business.
And no dealer can actually give you Retail for your used guitar on trade. One has to take it in at a price that is below what a minimum retail price should be. A dealer doesn't want his/her money tied-up for a year because they gave you too much on trade. And a dealer is not taking in your guitar because he fell in love with it and wants it for his own.
Your best bet is always to Retail your used instrument yourself and obtain top market value. I usually encourage my customers to do that, and then I can just offer them the best deal possible on a new instrument.
Some of the "big box" stores may add what is really discount to the apparent value of your trade, making it seem like you are getting more. Not true. Sell your own guitar, then go shopping.
It's really the same circumstances as buying a new car. But most people don't want the hassle of selling their own used car.

Hope that helps a little! :)

• Members

It is getting difficult to talk myself out of getting new gear. I like to have "one of each style". My wife has been tolerant so far, but it sets a bad example for my son (you know, money grows on trees). I have justified it so far, as my previous GAS disease was for cars, and this is a lot cheaper than that.........

• Members

Originally posted by EvilTwin

My girl is the same way. But she has her own habbits she spends on.
:D

I have only found Guitar (abuse) Centers that carry Larrivee's for where I've gone.

But the web site has a few locations I'm going to visit this year:

-Alley Cat Music in State College

-Fred's Music in Lancaster

-Swissvale Music in Pittsburgh (I can't believe I haven't gone there yet)

-Vintage Instruments in Philly

http://www.larrivee.com/data/dealers/usa/pa.htm

But I honestly think I might be able to get a better deal online anyways. If I can find a good deal on an L-05 without the tortoise pickguard, I might go for it. I dig the clear pickguard Larrivee's.

Yeah, my wife is good at blowing money too. We blew a couple grand on living room furniture that is now an expensive scratching post for our pedigree Burnese cat. She's also a bugophobe, so when the kitchen was crawling with ants she when and called an exterminator. For the price we're paying for killing a dozen or so ants on my kitchen counter I could have had that damned Larriv

• Members

I'm a compulsive guitar browser and I know I'd go crazy buying all kinds of guitars if money weren't the severely limiting factor. Despite the fact that my skill level wouldn't justify a "collection" of guitars I simply find them to be beautiful. By the time I'm financially able to buy another guitar or two it'll probably be a toss up between a new guitar or new teeth. :eek:

• Members

I don't bother telling my spouse anymore. I buy the damn thing and bear the wrath when the "brown truck" shows up. The anger is temporary and then I sulk down to the basement in guilt and, with a smug smile, gently open the cardboard box. And as I strum the virgin chord, a peace settles upon me, and lasts until the next gas attack when the cycle is repeated.

• Members
Originally posted by jazzalta

I don't bother telling my spouse anymore. I buy the damn thing and bear the wrath when the "brown truck" shows up. The anger is temporary and then I sulk down to the basement in guilt and, with a smug smile, gently open the cardboard box. And as I strum the virgin chord, a peace settles upon me, and lasts until the next gas attack when the cycle is repeated.

lol i got a good laugh ot of that :D

• Members

Originally posted by jazzalta

LOL! It may actually come to that for me! :D

BTW, "Virgin chord"?!? ROTFLMAO!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I stopped when I learned not to drool. Wait, I still do that. I don't bother to stop. One can stop smoking, drinking, biting the nails, gritting the teeth, etc., but guitars never get into that category. The other day I decided to part with a Martin DM so I brought it to my luthier for consignment and ended up trading him for a Yamaha classical with pickup I found in his shop. What the hell was that? And, I didn't bite my nails or grit my teeth in hesitation about the deal either. I believe you question should really be asking how often people subject themselves to visits to the local guitar shop even though they don't need a guitar or supplies.

• Members

I really don't have much gas for any acoustic right now. I have two cheapo Fenders for fun and a nice Martin for the formal venues. They keep me satisfied for the moment. I have been known to go buy a set of strings and have a guitar attached to them.

Archived