Need a speaker.

Average_Joe

• Members

OK, so I built these power amp and preamp kits that were found by WRGKMC in an earlier thread. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2674163

I bought two of the preamps:

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?cPath=100_104&products_id=784

and one of the power amp kits:

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//product_info.php?products_id=838

A few comments about the kits:

Very easy to assembly, probably 1 to 2 hours each (second one was quicker once I got my soldering mojo going).

Components aren't bad, just plain old resistors & caps, but the trim pots on both kits are crappy little things I'll be replacing.

I've experimented with the circuits and have hooked the amp to a couple of speakers to test it. When I first built it I hooked it to a car stereo speaker to verify it was working and that sounded crappy, but I hooked it to the 12" 8 ohm Sheffield in my Peavey Bandit and it has a nice clean warm tone. Put the preamp kit in front of it and it gets a little crunchy. Here's the plan: a small practice amp with a clean and an overdrive channel, just need to figure out a tone control circuit to throw in and should be good.

Now I plan to build a small cabinet, but I need to find a speaker. I'm just a hobbyist and don't have alot of experience with different amps & speakers, so I'm looking for some input. I'm wanting to go as small as possible without sounding small and cheesy, I'm figuring the smallest I'll be able to get decent tone out of is in the 6" or 8" speaker size. The kit says 8 ohms will get me 5 Watts and 4 will get me 10 Watts. I've seen a number of them on ebay, a couple I was looking at were: a 6" 4 ohm from Fender Champ 600, a Jensen MOD 8", or a Weber 8" 8 ohm. Anyone have any experience with these or others?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I finally got back to tinkering on this project. These are the preamp and power amp kits:

PA310001.jpg

PA310003.jpg

PA310002.jpg

I've been slowly gathering parts together. Got most of what I need. I found some really nice oak boards in my fathers garage I've been wanting to use for something so I made my cabinet from that. Here's some pics of that:

P1010010.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010004.jpg

• Members

I wanted to be able to remove the electronics easily so I put them in a pull out drawer. Still need to mount those and experiment with a tone circuit. Still need to drill out the front for pots & switches, and then sand, finish and graphics. But this is mostly what it will look like. hopefully will sound decent, if it doesn't at least it will look cool.

HPIM0883.jpg

HPIM0882.jpg

HPIM0881.jpg

• Members

I may have to build one of these. The cab work is beautiful! I've often thought someone should go into business building furniture quality cabs for existing amps. Just so the wives will allow that "ugly" guitar amp in the living room.

• Members

I may have to build one of these. The cab work is beautiful! I've often thought someone should go into business building furniture quality cabs for existing amps. Just so the wives will allow that "ugly" guitar amp in the living room.

Thanks, my wife wouldn't care anyway because we have seperate living rooms, which works out good because she doesn't have to look at all my man-toys and I never have to watch Oprah.:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I organize a breakfast roundtable discussion group and want to have "on line business communities" as a topic in June. Please let me know if you can refer a good speaker on the topic or if you have resources for this topic to help make an effective discussion on how businesses can use on line communities to help their marketing and sales efforts.

• Members

I organize a breakfast roundtable discussion group and want to have "on line business communities" as a topic in June. Please let me know if you can refer a good speaker on the topic or if you have resources for this topic to help make an effective discussion on how businesses can use on line communities to help their marketing and sales efforts.

Nobody here really cares.

• Members

You first need to determine which plug your CD player requires. I'm guessing it needs a 1/8" but I don't know without seeing it. Then make sure of what the speaker cab needs. It's then a simple matter of Googling for an adapter or getting the parts to make one. If you don't plan on using the speaker cab for anything else the ideal way would be to just convert it permanently by getting the right jack and installing that in the old one's place. Cleaner, more "factory" looking mod that way.

Even if the CD player is the primary intended use and other things will be used occasionally, I'd do it that way and get adapters for the other uses.

Archived