Godin Folk Guitars

kwakatak

• Members

Does anyone own a Folk guitar from Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie or Norman (all subdivisions of Godin)? They look like a pretty comfortable fnigerpicking guitar. What are the specs for the topwood - is it solid or laminated? There are aren't many dealers in my area, either, and I'm interested to see what they go for.

• Members

I was the proud owner of a Seagull Grand for about 6 months. I sold it only to make room for a new Taylor.

These are nice instruments for the price paid. If you like cedar tops, you are in luck with Seagull.

I have nothing but good things to say about them. You might need to do a little adjusting of the action, but that is it.

Check them out!!

• Members

Hi,

I own a Seagull folk guitar. I think all Gulls have either solid cedar or solid spruce tops. Mine is cedar. The size is very close to that of a classical guitar. I have smallish hands, but I still find the wide string spacing comfortable except for barre chords (it is difficult for me not to mute at least one string). To my ears, it sounds better with lighter gauge strings. I did have to try several before I settled on one, they all sounded good but a couple had cosmetic issues (satin finished cedar scratches very easily). The sound is straight forward, balanced, and IMO maybe a little weak in the bass dept.

I payed $370.00 w/ hsc at a local shop, and I feel that it was worth it. Overall, a well built and well designed affordable guitar.

Hope that helps.

• Members

I just purchased an S6 folk cedar solid top for my daughter who will be using it as a "beginner"...needed to have the action lowered...nice solid sound and the price is right($325)...I also own a Norman B 20 12 string(same company).It was purchased in Canada,seems like the Norman brand is quite rare in the US.Best 12 string I have ever tried even better than a $1200 Martin and I paid $420 Canadian for it!:)

• Members

Check out the A&l folk , sells for about $220 cdn ( us? ) sounds like a real guitar. My buddy wanted a guitar for his wife and I pushed him to get one of those. Very nice for the money , but I would have got the dread "wild cherry" if it was me , but she wanted a smaller guitar.

• Members

The one on the left is a Seagull S6+ Folk w/factory LR Baggs electronics. I really like it. Solid cedar top and laminate wild cherry back and sides, silver leaf maple neck.

S6taylor.jpg

the other one is a Baby Taylor. I think I got my Seagull, w/HSC, on ebay for about $235 or so.:)

Archived