favorite chords?

apostrophe

• Members

i love a good, well placed chord. one of my favorite chords is Cmaj7. i call this the neil young/david crosby chord since they both use it often and its where i learned it. i remember when i first strummed a Cmaj7.....i played it for days. i think its beautiful. i also love the Fmaj7>Cmaj7 2 chord jam with a capo on 2nd fret. hours of fun right there! =)

• Members

so many chords so little time. that tabbed chord has it's root in F. interesting. will try it out when i get home.

I have been play a lot of open tunings lately; open G , open D and some cool tunings E9, C6, C6/A7. I use E9 on a ten string pedal steel. works great for country, country swing, some jazz, and it has some cool blues notes. did a country blues version of Zep's You Shook Me, lead and all.

taking chord and chord shapes around the fret board opens a lot of doors.

one can get a good understand of triads up and down the neck.

• Members

Suspended chords, 2s and 4s. There are lots of nice harmonies but I always come back to Suses. Oh, and like to make the root a full tone higher than the normal root for a chord - may sound a bit sick, but melancholic. D/C is a great example.

• Members

I like open E shapes up the neck with the tonic held down and the 1st and second strings ringing open. I've used that on a few songs. Somewhat like what you are doing slider with the Cmaj7.

Did any of you ever see Friends when Chrissie Hynde was on? Phoebe was doing her bad acoustic thing, and she is feeling jealous of Chrissie Hynde, so she asks her "what chords do you know?" And Chrissie Hynde (her character is "Stephanie") says "All of 'em." Phoebe's next song is " Stephanie ... knows all the chords." :D

I like what John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers does in Breaking The Girl. He takes an A shape (second fret, 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings) and slides it up to the fourth, fifth, and seventh fret. S'great!

• Members

how's this for ya...

Bmaddb6/B - x20032

or scoot the A string up one fret and have - x30032, i believe that chord was used in the transition part of Stairway after the Dsus thingamajig.

I also like the overused and ever so famous open E minor chord. 022000 BRRRRRRRRR so dark! :D

ummm lets see what else...Dm7 is good (barred is preferred over open though), Cadd9/G, D/F#, Dsus2/B, Fmaj7 (but this way - x33210; without the A string on the 3rd fret it just sounds useless), Emaj7 (up here though - 076800), Dropped D Dmaj9 chord (000220), Dropped D Dsus2 chord (000230), Asus2 (x02200), Amaj9 thingy (x07600), Asus2/C#, Bb7, C7/G, F/A, Eb7, Cmaj7, F#madd11 (x44200), C#m7, ummm...E9 thing (007900)...

yeah that's pretty much it. :D:p

Archived