Um.. anyone here know about banjos?

hangwire

• Members

acousti is as close to folk as the forum has... so here it goes...

I am looking for a banjo... for both my fiance' and myself to learn on... as a side instrument... that either of us could pick up to do backing work on a track... maybe even a live song or 2...

what should i look for... i will buy used because i don't plan to invest much in a banjo for its limited use... a local place has a kay banjo for $70 which looks kinda plain, and a no name banjo with a wooden armrest on the drum and a "back" for $100

when i go try them out... what should I be looking for? feel, height of strings, anything to keep in my head while playing them...

why should i not just take the cheaper kay?

• Members

If the neck is straight and the frets are good, everything else is adjustible...I'm assuming you're considering a 5-string, but a 4-string tenor is also handy!

I prefer open-backed banjos and an old Kay might be pretty cool...my favorite 5-string is an old late 40s Harmony, very similar to a Kay of the same vintage! $70 is a VERY decent price, btw.

The no-name may or may not be better...the reonator ('back" makes it louder and adds some "bottom", but play both and if both are equally good, and have equally straight necks, let your ears decide!

HTH. :)

• Members

Originally posted by opranks612

I suggest getting one with a closed back ( a resonator), because the tone is more suited to modern styles. Open backs are most exclusively for Old Time music from my experience (not the age, it's a genre. Bluegrass minus the energy and spontaneity)

i think i will get the no name one with teh back and the wooden arm rest... i played both and although I am sur ethey both were not in tune, the strings seems too close together on the kay. But, if it sells ... then i'll get the kay and be pleased.

Archived