Time for a new acoustic

lobsterman

• Members

I've been playing guitar for about 5 or 6 years now and I started out with an ovation that im still using now. Ive come to notice it doesnt have a very open sound. It is very focused and not very loud and resonant. I played my brothers lotus ($100) guitar and it blew me away. Its a dreadnought and it is really loud and resonant it has that open sound i want. The problem is its lacking bottom. I think the sound i want is like a D-28 sound. I really like Beck's sounds on his Sea Change album and he uses a D-28. What are some cheaper alternatives that i could find at a guitar center.

No cutaway. Electronics are nice but I dont really want a big control thing put in the side cause that cant be good for the sound.

• Members
Originally posted by JasmineTea
I have one of THESE and I love it. About $800.(list minus 40%)

Hey! I just played one of those in a local shop a few days ago and I was very impressed. I was a little put off by the fact that the bridge and fretboard were not wood but, having thought about it for a couple days, I'm ok with it. It sure sounded good. The Micarta looks and feels like ebony and I'm sure it's way more stable than ebony (which is prone to shrinking and cracking) so what the hell? I'm no purist or luddite. Besides, it saves the elephants the trouble of dragging those increasingly rare ebony logs out of the swamps.
    I bet that Micarta (or something like it) becomes the norm for factory guitar fretboards and bridges in the next couple of generations.

• Members
Originally posted by bjorn-fjord

Hey! I just played one of those in a local shop a few days ago and I was very impressed. I was a little put off by the fact that the bridge and fretboard were not wood but, having thought about it for a couple days, I'm ok with it. It sure sounded good. The Micarta looks and feels like ebony and I'm sure it's way more stable than ebony (which is prone to shrinking and cracking) so what the hell? I'm no purist or luddite. Besides, it saves the elephants the trouble of dragging those increasingly rare ebony logs out of the swamps.

I bet that Micarta (or something like it) becomes the norm for factory guitar fretboards and bridges in the next couple of generations.

I did'nt realize it was micarta till I got it home! I panicked..but looking at my old Guild with it's completely shot rosewood frettboard..I think the micarta will withstand my fingernails. I think it's a great idea.

• Members

Yeah id looked at the D-16 online it sounds like a pretty good guitar but i need to see for myself. Thats why i said guitar center. I dont really want to get something offline ive done it before with things ive played in shops but acoustic is different cause it sounds like it does no changing it. Its a feel thing if it "speaks" to you you know thats right.

Just wondering, why are you glad it isnt a D-28? Price or it sounds better or what? The micarta doesnt feel wierd right? Sound?

• Members
Originally posted by lobsterman

Yeah id looked at the D-16 online it sounds like a pretty good guitar but i need to see for myself. Thats why i said guitar center. I dont really want to get something offline ive done it before with things ive played in shops but acoustic is different cause it sounds like it does no changing it. Its a feel thing if it "speaks" to you you know thats right.

Just wondering, why are you glad it isnt a D-28? Price or it sounds better or what? The micarta doesnt feel wierd right? Sound?

1) it did'nt cost nearly as much.2) it sounds like it did.3)I'm not paranoid about scratching it.4)did I mention it sounds great?6)the micarta is a great idea for me because even though I clip my nails, I still ware some REALY deep grooves in a rosewood frettboard.7)it sounds like Martins you've heard in recordings, that tubby Doc Watson sound.8) it's a good-looking guitar.

• The micarta does'nt feel any different to me, and it looks like a realy good piece of ebony. There are aprox nine guitars here, for some reason that's the one I play the most. I'm happy.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

1) 6)the micarta is a great idea for me because even though I clip my nails, I still ware some REALY deep grooves in a rosewood frettboard. The micarta does'nt feel any different to me, and it looks like a realy good piece of ebony. There are aprox nine guitars here, for some reason that's the one I play the most. I'm happy.

Wondering if I should be thinking Micarta fretboard for your Knockwood OM...?

• Members

Well i went to guitar center today. The HD-28 is definitly the sound i want. The D-16Gt had a nice sound with less bottom. I had them order a D-16RGT because the rosewood will have more bass response. I think it will get pretty close to the HD-28 and cost me 1K less.

I also played a takamine like NAC10 or something it was pretty darn close too. Its a dreadnought it looked like it had a rosewood back too.

Archived