Strap, or Straplocks for my Larrivee???

Chrohm

• Members

I think I'm going to cry getting my Larrivee penetrated....

But I really need a strap/straplocks so I can stand and play...

Any suggestions on how to get this done or what straplock set to use?

Charlie

• Members

Originally posted by Tioga_Man

at least for the neck side, you could try to get used to playing with the strap above the nut. No damage, no "penetration".

Yeah - I don't know why everybody has such a hardon to have the strap mounted electric-style on their acoustics. I have been using the old cowboy-style "shoelace-on-the-headstock" method for years, and have never had a problem. I would much rather continue doing this than drill a hole and mount a strap lug. Anyway, most acoustics don't really balance that well with the strap at the joint where the body meets the neck.

• Members

For the last twenty or twenty five years I have played with a dread using a strap lock with good results. I am beginning to use the OM more and more and recently bought an OM 35 and said I would not put a strap lock or button on it. But as it goes I have to use it standing in a couple of weeks and decided to compromise with the button instead of the lock. I put it on and I like it. The OM is not so heavy that you need the lock and it looks from your post you are talking about an OM too. Since you have never done it whatever you do have it done by a guitar tech. They know what they are doing and will not harm your guitar. I still like the lock for the heaver guitars and basses.

• Members

Originally posted by bsman

Yeah - I don't know why everybody has such a hardon to have the strap mounted electric-style on their acoustics. I have been using the old cowboy-style "shoelace-on-the-headstock" method for years, and have never had a problem. I would much rather continue doing this than drill a hole and mount a strap lug. Anyway, most acoustics don't really balance that well with the strap at the joint where the body meets the neck.

Hmmmm . . . my experience is just the opposite. i find that attaching the strap to the headstock "cowboy style" puts the balance of the guitar in front of the upper bout. This moves the strumming hand upward on the neck and above the soundhole. With the strap fixed a the heel, the balance point is closer to the lower bout putting the strumming hand over the sound hole.

• Members

Originally posted by bsman

I'm used to playing electrics, so having the strap connected to both sides of the body feels more natural for me.

• Members

i've seen a few guitars with finish wear above the nut from 'cowboy style' strap setups... i have no problem putting in a strap button on the heel of the neck, although i would never do it to any kind of vintage or collectible guitar like a few i've seen here and there. guess i'll take a neat, clean button install over potential finish wear on the neck/headstock.

• Members

I have always put the button right into the center of the heel cap. It feels best this way and is easy to use a lock if you want to. If for some reason you ever want to take it off you would just take the plastic heal cover off with it and put another on. I've never done this but have been told by a tech that he has done it. That way it never shows that at one time you had a button there. My guitars are bought to play so it never bothered me to use a button. I don't think though that I could cut a hole in the side for a pre amp.

Archived