Who has used Musician's Friend Preium Accoustic String?

Mike Sr.

• Members

Your thoughts on them please. How long they last?, Did they rust or get gritty fast? Did cleaning after each use help? Were they as good as Martin or Fender strings or any others that you used? Were they prone to breaking after playing only a few songs?

• Members

The two previous post made good sense... However... a few months ago I bought 10 packs of those strings. I think they are OK - nothing to write home about but fine for my house. I'm not currently gigging so I said what the heck - they are cheap. They usually lasted about 2 weeks before I had to change them.
Veee

• Members
Originally posted by woody b

I spend too much on my guitars to put $2 strings on them.

I didn't ask about what you spent on your guitar, the guitar doesn't know if your you putting on $20 strings or $2 strings. You can turn cheap strings into better strings if you do a couple of labor of love things to them.

What, did you finally save up for a Martin and now you can be a "lookie lookie what I got" jerk.

What a bunch of gear snobs, jeez. If you change strings before each gig, it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you get the new string sound for the 20 to 30 minutes you play that particular guitar.

Here's a little quiz for the gear snobs, how many different string manufacturers in the U.S.? Not brands, but the maker of strings.

Are those your guitars hanging on the wall, on the freaken wall, if they are such cash cows why don't you have them in a case with a humidifer and gauge. You're signature is weak as well, it sounds like they're a little dry.

If you're going to drop the snob bomb on me then I'm going to bust your chops, otherwise you should have just kept your fingers still.:eek:

• Members

Take it easy, Mike, they're only guitar strings.

Yes, HC has guitar snobs aplenty, but please consider that quite a few of the players have gone through a lot of different strings to get the sound that they want, be it gigging or practicing at home. For whatever it's worth, I'm curious to hear what people think of the strings; sure sounds like an economical way to get a fresh string sound.

I'd also like to hear more about the string manufactorers. Is it something similar to Korean made guitars, i.e. lots of brands, but one Samick factory? Looking forward to your response.

• Members

Originally posted by Veee

They usually lasted about 2 weeks before I had to change them.

2 weeks here too. Webstrings are lasting longer, going on 4 weeks and doing well but not playing as much. D'Addarios usually lasted me 4 or 5 weeks of similar playing. I

think the D'Addarios came out to like 3.26 a pack or something, so 3.26 for 4 weeks vs. 1.99 for 2 weeks. Those MF ones aren't in sealed packs either.

• Members

I didn't ask about what you spent on your guitar, the guitar doesn't know if your you putting on $20 strings or $2 strings. You can turn cheap strings into better strings if you do a couple of labor of love things to them.

Well the idea was that if you shell at the money for a great guitar, don't you want it to sound it's best? Personally, I think that the strings that I have on my acoustic have a very large influence on the sound it produces, and I've definitely noticed that higher quality strings in general have much better tone and last longer. For example, I've had a set of Newtone Masterclass on my guitar for 2 months now and they're still sounding excellent. So yeah, I wouldn't put $2 strings on my expensive guitar.

• Members

I'm not not a guitar snob, I have the cheapest Alvarez there is, the all laminate RD8, which I have, because it sounds great and has the best acoustic neck that I have ever seen. I need good strings to make it sound great, I use Martin Marquis's 80/20's, DRs and Adamas, not necessarily in that order
Didn't mean to make you mad, sorry, I didn't think you were that serious about Musician's friends' Strings
Jim

• Members

I don't put the cheapest oil in my vehicles, I put in what I think will work the best for a reasonable price.

I don't put the cheapest food in my body, I eat what I think will taste good and not be too expensive.

I don't go to the cheapest movies, I go to what I want to see.

I don't put my guitar in a cheap case, or use a cheap tuner, or the cheapest capo, or the cheapest picks, or the cheapest batteries. I use what I like, and what I think works best for me.

I don't buy the cheapest toilet paper either, and that only gets used once, usually.

Sometimes what I use is the cheapest, sometimes it's not. But I don't get mad when other people tell me why they don't use the cheapest thing.

So why the hell are you so damn offended at the responses you got to your question? You asked for opinions, and that's what you got. If you want everyone to nod their head and say "yessir" everytime you ask a question, start a cult or something.

By the way, I use Martin SP strings. Not the SP+, just the regular SP. And they last me as long as I want them to, because I change them before they break, usually every two or three months. I don't know how long they would last if I just let them go, but it's more than long enough for me. And that's all I need to know.

FWIW, I quit buying strings from Musician's Friend altogether. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems like every set I've bought from them has had one break sooner than when I get them from other places. That's back when I played electric more than acoustic, and was gigging often, and I had to change them about once a week, because they'd break all the damn time. After I realized that, I started buying from either Woodwind and Brasswind, or locally, and I didn't have nearly the problem I used to. I have a feeling that it has to do with their warehouse climate, or something else. Perhaps they've changed their ways since then, but old habits die hard.

So for that reason I will not buy strings from Musician's Friend, let alone those strings. It has nothing to do with the price, or the stigma that low price must mean low quality. Although I feel that in this case, that might be true.

And by the way, I do usually try to buy what I want at the lowest price I can, which is often somewhere other than Musician's Friend. I haven't bought anything from MF for quite some time, because I can almost always get a better deal somewhere else. But that's just my experience.

• Members
Originally posted by Mike Sr.

What, did you finally save up for a Martin and now you can be a "lookie lookie what I got" jerk.

What a bunch of gear snobs, jeez. If you change strings before each gig, it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you get the new string sound for the 20 to 30 minutes you play that particular guitar.

Here's a little quiz for the gear snobs, how many different string manufacturers in the U.S.? Not brands, but the maker of strings.

Are those your guitars hanging on the wall, on the freaken wall, if they are such cash cows why don't you have them in a case with a humidifer and gauge. You're signature is weak as well, it sounds like they're a little dry.

If you're going to drop the snob bomb on me then I'm going to bust your chops, otherwise you should have just kept your fingers still.
:eek:

You ask for opinions on cheap strings and you got them. BTW I've had a Martin for 30+ years. Maybe you should have kept your fingers still instead of starting yet another stupic string post.

Oh and by the way
KISS MY ASS

Archived