Do The Back/Sides Become Less Important As Guitars Age?

Promethius

• Members

This is very possibly a stupid question, but due to the anonymity of an Internet chat room, I'm fearless pressing forward. :)

I hear it said a lot on this forum that "the back and side wood of guitars doesn't determine much of the tone of the guitar". I've never understood this because when I pick up a mohagony guitar or a rosewood guitar I hear a distinct difference.

But I'm usually playing new guitars. So as the top opens up over time, does it take over more of the sound of the guitar? And do the back and sides of the guitar then become less important or distinctive from one another?

:confused:

• Members

The back and sides make a difference. A standard D-18 and a standard D-28 have the exact same top and bracing but they sound worlds apart, new or old. I don't know why people say the back/sides make no difference. Maybe it depends on what brand guitar your playing.

• Members

Back and sides make a difference, but not nearly as much as the top, and maybe even even type of string (80/20 vs. phosphor bronze, etc.)

The arguement is usually made on low-mid range guitars when folks are choosing between lam tops and solid tops.

FWIW, a bad solid top is no better than a lam top, and more prone to cracks.

Anyway, to answer the question. It's sort of hard to separate whether the sound of aging is from solely the top, or also the back and sides. Back and sides make a difference, but I don't know whether aged sides sound better or the same. I don't think anybody does.

• Members

Interesting question. We always hear about the "opening up" of solid tops, but not solid back/sides (since the top is the primary tone generator, it's understandable why).

I'd say that just about everything counts for aging, just as everything counts for tone out of the box. But also, the top is the primary thing you're going to notice either way, aged or new.

• Members

I think the back and sides make a very big difference in the sound of a guitar. After aging a while, I bet (compared to the top) the b / s matter the same in terms of what they did when they were new.

The top opens up, and is much more sig for the tone of the guitar, but aging, the wood settling into it's 'new' shape (bent) and drying happen as much to the b / s as to the top. Since it happens at the same time, the relationship is the same. But if you took a well worn top and put 'new' wood on the back, the new wood wood 'open up' as time went by (drying, etc) and it would be easy to notice. But its all speculation and ball bearings ..

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Personally from my experience with the guitars I've built, the back and sides don't play a huge role in sound at any age.

That's interesting. I mean, I can tell a big difference between a D-18 and a D-28. Not that one necessarily sounds better than the other, just different.

• Members

Originally posted by Kap'n

That's interesting. I mean, I can tell a big difference between a D-18 and a D-28. Not that one necessarily sounds better than the other, just different.

Guitarcapo is talking about sound, you're talking about tone.

• Members

Sound vs Tone

Good question, I would'nt mind reading a little more about that.

Back and sides are not excluded from what creates a guitars tone. They don't contribute nearly as much as the top and the top braces, but they are definately important.

Words are all but useless for describing wood-tone. I get a kick reading the descriptions: lush, sweet, full, warm. It borders on being X-rated.

I figure all of the body woods go through the ''opening up'' thing. Possibly some woods take longer. I don't know.

Archived