spruce top/mahogany compared to all mahogany

mr benn

• Members

hey guys i'm thinking of buying a 000 sized guild with a spruce top,mahogany back and sides i'm wondering how it would compare sonically with the 000-15 all mahogany martin i already have?

i love the 000 size and i want another,but something maybe a bit more suited to strumming,a little brighter than the 000-15,i wonder would the guild give me that type of sound or would it sound very like the one i already have?

• Members

I own an all mahogany Martin 000 and I have played several spruce-top 000s. The mahogany top is definitely a bit more 'mellow' in sound. The spruce top 000s seem to project more and be a bit brighter, in my experience. They're still more suited for fingerpicking, like most 000 body style acoustics, but they seem a bit more full when you're strumming chords than the mahogany top. Actually, a spruce top J body style Martin strikes a good balance between the 000 style and a dreadnought. The J has a huge, full sound for chords and fingerpicking while still retaining the basic 000 body shape (but with a deeper body). Just a thought.

• Members

"Martin strikes a good balance between the 000 style and a dreadnought."

Actually, I thought that's what they did with my M-16GT. I had had a J12-GT (the deeper body 12-string version) and found the Dreadnaught Depth of the J a little uncomfortable. The M has the same body shape as the J (same larger soundboard) but 000 depth. It seems to do everything well and has the 1 3/4" nut width which I like better for fingerpicking. Too bad it was discontinued.

• Members

"Isn't there anyone who wants that sound?"

You bet; that's why I also have a 000-15.

I'm kind of surprised they've kept the 1 Series around as long as they have. With the 15, Road, 1s, and 16-GTs, there's been a lot of "Price Scruntching" going on at Martin. Still, I've played a couple of D-1s that sounded every bit as good as some decent D-18s.

• Members

Originally posted by LDF

Yes, yes, mahogany has a darker sound. Isn't there anyone who wants that sound? I know I do. It's what I love about my new 000-15. DARK DARK DARK....Mmmm like an automn night..

eh...me i already have one! but i'd like another acoustic that sounds a little different as well

Archived