looking for a 00 or om sized guitar....

bluewolf

• Members

I have a Taylor 214 with a fishman rare esrth humbucker in it and I like the sound and size of it, its comfortable to play. However i would like to step up and get a great om sized or 000 sized guitar since I have come into a little money and can afford to spend 1500 bucks. I will be playing this guitar out, so I will be looking for one with a pickup or one I can put a pickup in.

I am pretty much a flatpicker and the general consensus is that flatpickers should play dreadnaughts. Well my 214 stands up to picking well and I am hoping to find an om or similar sized guitar in the 1500 price range that has decent projection, plugged or unplugged. By the way, I play blues and a little jazz.

• Members

Rythm flatpickers may prefer the D, soloing and arpeggiating flatpickers would choose the 000/ OM. Some on here would say Martin 15, 16 or even Standard Series, others would say Larrivee. I would look at a used Santa Claus... sorry, Santa Cruze (x-mas must be getting on my mind) or similar; even a luthier guitar on eBay or something. Saw one SC on eBay w Red spruce top and Mahogany b&s for 1300 just now, no reserve (Item number: 7363608422). For more sparkle of a maple body, why not this luthier built Webber, Item number: 7363079277 (just below 1 grand)

• Members

Now I am also wondering about the Martin 000X-1 guitar. Yeah, I know its got the high pressure laminate back and sides, and its only 500 bucks, but I played one in a store the other day and it sounded great!!! very good projection and played easily. Am I fooling myself on this guitar??? has anybody played one??

• Members
Originally posted by bluewolf

Now I am also wondering about the Martin 000X-1 guitar. Yeah, I know its got the high pressure laminate back and sides, and its only 500 bucks, but I played one in a store the other day and it sounded great!!! very good projection and played easily. Am I fooling myself on this guitar??? has anybody played one??

I like them. Thought about buying one for camping. X series are very consistant tone-wise.

• Members

i forgot to add, don't feel like you've gotta spend every dime you possibly can. you might look into the larrivee L guitars, they're not much smaller than a dread, on paper, but in my hands it feels much more compact than the numbers would suggest. Its got a depth between standard dread, and standard OM, and still puts out some volume.

You might look for something like a Grand Auditorium, or Grand Concert- although these names in reality mean little. Some of them are more like a deep OM or 000. you could play a guitar the size of a shoebox top, and if it was 8 inches deep it'd probably sound huge.

• Members

You really should look at the Martin 000-15. It's a solid wood mahogany guitar for around $650 new. I'm a folkie who fingerpicks and strums. I went out and bought a Taylor 414 and brought it home only to return it the next day and buy the 000. It is a fantastic little guitar, great tone and response. Maybe you are looking for something a little different, but I like this git.

• Members

I have an Alvarez Masterwork cutaway. MF80C. Solid wood back, sides and top. The "F" stands for "folk," which is the equivalent of an auditorium size or the Martin 000 size.

Costs about $650 or so new. Wonderful projection. Beautiful maple binding and heel. Cutaways on 000 size instruments look much nicer (IMO) than on dreads.

• Members

These are all a little more expensive than your price point but when you figure street prices can be as much as 40 percent off it might give some ideas.

OM Shoot out

Be aware that most OM's are long scale, 14 fret and 1-3/4 nuts while 000 and 00's can be 12 or 14 fret, long or short scale, and 1-3/4 or 1-11/16 nuts (Martin specs). Some are scalloped, some are forward shifted - there are a lot of differences.

Archived