elixirs break easy?

Jlliu59

• Members

I've been using elixir's ever since they came out and I've never had a problem with them.

I've never thought they sounded "better" then other quality strings - I do think they sound better longer than other strings - they just don't go dead as fast. When you don't want to change your strings every 1 to 2 weeks that means a lot.

HOWEVER - A local shop owner recently turned me on to the new coated strings D'Addarrio is marketing - the ones that are coated on the inside. They are blowing my mind.

THEY ARE BLOWING MY MIND - I DON'T THINK I'LL BUY ELIXIRS AGAIN -

• Members

Originally posted by copperhead325

...HOWEVER - A local shop owner recently turned me on to the new coated strings D'Addarrio is marketing - the ones that are coated on the inside. They are blowing my mind.

THEY ARE BLOWING MY MIND - I DON'T THINK I'LL BUY ELIXIRS AGAIN -

What are these new D'Addarios called?

Can't find them on D'Addarios web site???

• Members
Originally posted by Jlliu59

So I borrow this Taylor 310, it was strung with normal elixirs. I broke the D string on saturday, then I bought some nanowebs and restrung the whole guitar, then I broke 2 strings on sunday.

I don't tend to break a lot of strings, but I guess this past weekend, I did. Maybe it was the guitar, maybe it was the strings.

anyone find elixirs to break more easily? You think I should get the bridge checked out?

I hate to diss any brand of strings...but I was gigging with my trusty Guild strung with Elixirs. During a song, the A string broke (the strings were a little over a week old). The A string...hmmm...hardly ever break those. So, I switched to my electric for the rest of the set...and during the break put a new A string on (not an Elixir). Got back up with my trusty Guild...the D string broke on like the second song!!! :eek: WTF??? Again, switched to my electric...finished the set. Changed the D string (not an Elixir). Next set...strap on my trusty Guild...first tune...G string goes SNAP!

I haven't used 'em since, nor will I. Other folks seem to have fine luck with 'em...but...outside of that night, I can't ever think of a time I've broken an A string on that guitar...much less an A, a D, and a G.

:freak:

• Members
Originally posted by Tedster

I hate to diss any brand of strings...but I was gigging with my trusty Guild strung with Elixirs. During a song, the A string broke (the strings were a little over a week old). The A string...hmmm...hardly ever break those. So, I switched to my electric for the rest of the set...and during the break put a new A string on (not an Elixir). Got back up with my trusty Guild...the D string broke on like the second song!!!
:eek:
WTF??? Again, switched to my electric...finished the set. Changed the D string (not an Elixir). Next set...strap on my trusty Guild...first tune...G string goes SNAP!

I haven't used 'em since, nor will I. Other folks seem to have fine luck with 'em...but...outside of that night, I can't ever think of a time I've broken an A string on that guitar...much less an A, a D, and a G.

:freak:

I can see how that would put you off a brand of string!

I've never broken an A string!!!!

I don't recall ever having broken a D either???

But I've never had this problem with Elixirs. I wonder, have Elixir ever admitted to having had a bad batch of strings? :confused:

• Members

Well, I have broken every single string numerous times. The worst was probably the gig where I broke 3 strings in one ten song set.

As far as Elixirs, I think they rule for acoustic. I might try out those coated from the inside D'addarios thought, that sounds pretty killer.

• Members
Originally posted by Andrewrg

Using this method I never have breakages.
:thu:

I put them in the hole first, slip them through the post, leave enough slack for a few wraps, make a right-angel bend in the string on either side of the post, keep some tension on the string with one hand, and spin the pegwinder with the other. They don't get twisted and I rarely break strings.

As for Elixers, YUCK.

• Members
Originally posted by JasmineTea

I put them in the hole first, slip them through the post, leave enough slack for a few wraps, make a right-angel bend in the string on either side of the post, keep some tension on the string with one hand, and spin the pegwinder with the other. They don't get twisted and I rarely break strings.

As for Elixers, YUCK.

I bet you can tell a lot about a person by the way they string a guitar..Like, by the way they eat there breakfast.

Archived