Seriously- How much could I get for a 1948 Martin 015?

TacoFlavoredPigeon

• Members

Originally posted by d28andm1911a1

NOt as much as you would hope for.

Old yes but not one that is in high demand and it was low end to start with. I would guess somewhere between $1K and $1200.

Yup- You should hear it though- really bright and perfect for recording... That's about what I paid for it- I feel bad- it's just sitting there staring at me.

• Members

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/martin.html

I concur with all the other posts. Just because you have an old Martin does not mean that it's worth $1000's. The 15 was the bottom of the line and was discontinued some time ago, and was not reinstated until fairly recently. According to the Vintage Guitar Guy, a collector, this model rates a D- as far as collectability goes. I have no idea what they sell for since you rarely see one for sale. I am not sure how many were made, and even more importantly, how many are still around. Now if you had a pre-war 18, 28, 41, or 45, that would be worth something.

• Members

"Now if you had a pre-war 18, 28, 41, or 45, that would be worth something."

Yeah, especially if it's a prewar style 41 since style 41 didn't appear in the Martin line until 1969 :) The D-41 was Mike Longworth's idea, shortly after Martin brought him in to do the inlay on the recently reintroduced D-45.

Actually, there were very few D-41s built before the changeover to Indian Rosewood so those (I believe around 30 of them) are quite valuable.

• Members

Originally posted by HD28HLA

"Now if you had a pre-war 18, 28, 41, or 45, that would be worth something."

Yeah, especially if it's a prewar style 41 since style 41 didn't appear in the Martin line until 1969
:)
The D-41 was Mike Longworth's idea, shortly after Martin brought him in to do the inlay on the recently reintroduced D-45.

Actually, there were very few D-41s built before the changeover to Indian Rosewood so those (I believe around 30 of them) are quite valuable.

Thank you for setting the record straight. You are entirely correct.

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/martin.html

I concur with all the other posts. Just because you have an old Martin does not mean that it's worth $1000's. The 15 was the bottom of the line and was discontinued some time ago, and was not reinstated until fairly recently. According to the Vintage Guitar Guy, a collector, this model rates a D- as far as collectability goes. I have no idea what they sell for since you rarely see one for sale. I am not sure how many were made, and even more importantly, how many are still around. Now if you had a pre-war 18, 28, 41, or 45, that would be worth something.

Well yeah- it's not like a 00045 or anything... a D-- just says that it's not worth $50,000....:D

• Members

According to my First Edition of Mike Longworth's book, the July, 1940 price list shows the 0-15 listed for $25. Apply the modern standard 40% discount from list and there you have it; the "1940 Street Price" for the 0-15 would be $15.:)

"I bet if you Ebayed it you'd get 1,500.00

Ebay is good that way."

Yup. Ebay is where you'll find your biggest concentration of idiots when it comes to overpaying for things.:)

Archived