Mic Pre Power supply

Dogoth

• Members

I rarely hang out in this forum (A LOT on LS&P though) but I thought it might be a good place to ask this question.

I'm going to build a couple of "lunch box" 6 channel mic pre's. I already have 3 different kind of channel strips (3 stereo pairs per box), and a plan to cut them down to all fit a common frame. The strips are Sound workshop, Stevens Interface and Yamaha PM 1000.

I have a rack mount power supply for an old soundtrax board but I really don't need anywhere near that kind of current (or size as it was for a 40 channel frame console). Is there an inexpensive kit for a power supply that provides +17V (+-2V), -17V (+-2V) and +48V (I don't have an exact current specs but I believe that around 300mA to 500mA per rail should do OK). This is a pretty standard industry spec for Mic pre's and will work fine for what I have in mind.

The project should make for a nice group of color choices in 3 stereo pairs.

Thanks for your reply's in advance

• Members

You might want to email these guys and see if they have one at your voltage rating.

They seem to have several kits for the power supplies. If none are right maybe they can refer you to someone who does.

You may also want to post this in Craigs and Phils forum. Those guys deal with alot of the big stuff and thay might know an affordable vendor.

http://jlmaudio.com/JLM%20Power%20Supply.htm

• Members

You might want to email these guys and see if they have one at your voltage rating.

They seem to have several kits for the power supplies. If none are right maybe they can refer you to someone who does.

You may also want to post this in Craigs and Phils forum. Those guys deal with alot of the big stuff and thay might know an affordable vendor.

Thanks for the info. I'll call these guys and ask a few questions about filtering, etc.... It does look like there is a couple of possibilities there.

• Members

Yea its better than trying to do something from scratch you really need schematics for that which you dont find floating around the net.

I could breadboard a decent power supply that would do the job just fine but research of parts supply, and final durability makes me want to look for a P.C board kit if possible.

• Members

I could breadboard a decent power supply that would do the job just fine but research of parts supply, and final durability makes me want to look for a P.C board kit if possible.

Hey JR, I have one sitting on my shelves looking for a home. Will trade for lunch the next time you are down this way.

Archived