what about the martin ooox-1??

bluewolf

• Members

I ve played the martin Dx-1 and it indeed sounds great for the money. What about the 000x-1?? The reviews Ive read have all been good. I did try a 000X-1 and i liked it, but what will it sound like amplified?? I would use it to play out and probably use the LR Baggs active M-1 Anybody use one?? The projection, at least in the music store where i was playing sounded good.

• Members

Do you find that the 000x-1 projects well when you play out?? Do you play by yourself or with other people when you play out??? I will playing by myself and sometimes as a duo. I am also mostly a flat picker, some fingerstyle but mostly with a pic.

Does hold up well to vigorus strumming?? I mostly play blues so i wont be doing the hard strumming bluegrass thing but, I do like to have some punch behind what I play. I would appreicate any responses regarding this.

• Members

Here's what I think of those HPL Martins:

1) I think they sound darn good. The one's with the spruce top, that is. The one's with lam top don't sound as good IMO.

2) They'll last a lifetime. They're resiliant, and probly water proof.

3) The price is right.

I played one at a shop the other day. D1XK. I'd played a couple solid wood guitars before playing it. What I noticed when going from a wooden guitar to the HPL w/spruce top was that the HPL guitar projected the sound directly in front of the guitar. Almost no sound came from the back and sides. With the solids I could hear plenty of sound from the back and sides.

• Members

I have the 000-1 with a solid top, but the 000x-1 sounds really close. I actually play bass in my 4 piece band, but for a few songs, I play acoustic, and I use my 000-1. It does the fingerpicking/strumming/blues thing really well, imho. If I were doing a straight acoustic single/duo thing, I would consider an A/E D-18, 28, 16 w/ cutaway, etc. Overall, I like the 000-1 for what I am using it for, right now. And they improve with age.

• Members

You should have heard the Martin total HPL X guitars before they put the solid spruce tops on them. They sounded aweful. I played a 000X1, it sounded ok, the only non-synthetic part is the solid spruce part which sounded good, I think the 0001s are much better, overpriced for a laminate sides and back guitar though.

I thought Martin was getting rid of the 1 series

Jim

Archived