Oil Dye And Tung Oil Plus Danish Oil

BDSMITH

• Members

I found some Pro Dye Oil on the web , & because it is Oil base would it be ok to use with Tung. You see the problem with tung oil not a lot of color , you can get stain oil but .I like RED, Blue and the Dye oil comes in Red,Blue,Green and more before I buy any one knows if this would work. I was told it will work on wood.Thanks brenda:wave::idea:

• Members

I have no information to give about whether those two particular products could be used together. However, based on my own experience, I know that you may run into problems any time use use two different penetrating products together.

Most any stain or dye is intended to penetrate into the wood pores so that it appears to be "in" the wood rather than "on" it like a paint. A problem can occur when you try to use a second penetrating product, e.g. another oil, on top of the dye or stain. The second product may lift the pigment out of the pores and bring it back to the surface so that it looks like it's "on" instead of "in" the wood. It can also make a mess because the two products together may not dry properly. Someone may have some specific info about these two products being used together. Lacking that, I would guess you'd just have to experiment with this to answer you own question.

• Members

It's impossible to tell until you test on scrap. Different products work differently, and the particular pieces of wood you're working with can also add to the complexity. The good news is that the test isn't expensive and doesn't require much in the way of tools or equipment.

I can tell you that I've used TransTints mixed directly into Formby's "Tung Oil" and rubbed that in on a project with pretty good results. I don't remember the mix ratio, but it seemed to be a bit weaker than I expected and required more coats than expected. IIRC, I tried staining a piece of scrap first then applying the oil, and as mike42 mentioned it brought up a bunch of color on the rag. Didn't have a problem with the dye in the oil, but TransTints (aka ColorTone from StewMac, IIRC) are supposed to work with oil, water, and solvent based finishes.

I did a bass for my daughter, and it looks like this:

5208939793_2d1f1d47d7_b.jpg

5208940025_8d0d9c1627_b.jpg

• Members

Yes you can mix stain with tung oil. I tried it with my dining room chairs that cane in kits and used it to match the table.

It does thin the tung oil but youre going to basically use it mixed for the first few coats till you get the darkness you want then just use

clear tung over it. I did my chairs 10 years ago and they are still looking fine so I dont see an issue with ageing.

Use a sponge brush to apply the first few coats so you get it on thick enough to get the color.

• Members

WRG, so rather than applying one over the other you just mix the two? That sounds like a good way to go. When using pure tung I always thin it down with an appropriate solvent for better penetration and then follow up with straight tung. This would kill two stones with one bird.

• Members

No you can just mix it with the tung oil and it works fine.

Example,

If you have a case where the body has sealer on it, stain can fail to penitrate properly and look splotchet as hell.

you apply some clear tung first. Then mix some stain in with the next coat. The stain will cause a teanlucent coloring

depending on how much stain you apply. You can add a littel and gradually apply it till you get to the darkness you want,

or you can apply more and get it really dark. In my case, I thought the tung oil alone would be enough to darken the wood.

It only got me part way there. After my first coat was dry, I added the stain to the tung oil a littel at a time till I hade enough to match the table.

Bing, after about 3 heavy coats, I sanded any rough spots and drips smooth, then I gave it one last coat of clear.

Archived