Washburn J28SCEDL

kwakatak

• Members

I just played one of these today. It's a good thing I don't have big blonde jumbo fever on a shoestring budget because this guitar was sweet for the price: $699

jumbo_j28scedl.jpg

It played fingerstyle pretty comfortably and I thought the gold hardware/ebonoid button tuners and ebony "butterfly" bridge were a nice touch. The flamed maple wasn't as golden as the picture but I'm sure it would darken nicely.

• Members

It sounded very bright and clear with a bit of overtone to it. I was kind of surprised by it because normally I like that quality in rosewood.

It does look very similar to the Takamine EG523SC and Alvarez AJ60SC. AFAIK they all have laminated maple back/sides with solid spruce tops and are all made in Korea. I tried the Alvarez a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed - but now I'm thinking maybe it had dead strings.

I was just at a local shop to sample some more Larrivee and Martins and decided to give the Washburn a try out of curiosity. I was pleasantly surprised though I still wasn't swayed from Larrivee or Martin.

Archived