Please recommend me an acoustic based on these criteria

Misery Synod

• Members

I can understand your frustration, but there are a ton of these posts, so people tire of replying. If you just search the first four or five pages you'll find a host of similar posts, and you can get a lot of the kind of advice that you're looking for.

That said, for $300, you don't have as many options as you might like, especially given your requirements of "deep" rather than "bright", and "projects well". (champagne taste, beer pocketbook)

All things being equal, an all solid-wood dreadnought guitar, preferably of rosewood or a similar wood, would be most likely to meet your criteria of "deep" and "projects well". But for $300, you're not going to find an all solid wood rosewood and spruce guitar, not even used. Mahogany (and its cousins, like sapele) is a less expensive wood that tends to dominate in the lower price ranges, and most new guitars in the $300 range are going to have laminated wood, with maybe a solid spruce top. So for $300, you'd most likely be looking at a laminated mahogany back and sides, and maybe a solid spruce top.

The pat answer on this forum is to get a Seagull. Seagull is a good guitar for the money, possibly the best anywhere near the $300 range. You'll have to decide whether the tone and projection are right for you though. Another good option might be a Blueridge BR-60, which has a laminated rosewood back and sides and solid spruce top, basically a good Martin dreadnought copy (do a search on eBay and youl'll see a bunch of them, new)

Personally, with $300 to spend, I'd probably look for a used guitar from Tacoma, Takamine, or Seagull, or else go the Blueridge route.

• Members

I just demoed an S6 and M6 Seagull and bought the M6. Solid cedar top, laminated mahogony back and sides, no cut away, projects very well, and has a very sweet bottom end. The S6 was great too but I wanted a little warmer tone. I bought it new for $299. I also played some Alverez guitars at the $300 price point and below and they played very well. I liked the frets and fingerboard but the Seagull string spacing was working much better for me. The Alverez's tended to be brighter and not quite as complex in the tone department too. YMMV.

• Members

Alvarez has a sunburst slope soulder variant, RD20SSB, if memory does not fail.

It has a pretty good bottom end, although it is a bit on the bright side.
Laminated body, solid top. Sounded very good when I tried it the other day.

Also very playable critter.

best of luck

Archived