Acoustic guitar --> electric amp

Still Thinking

• Members

hi Guys,

i'm playing in a duo now where i play electric guitar on some tracks and acoustis guitar on others. I want to downsize my amp to an AC30 or something more portable. i'm also fitting my acoustic with a pickup for gigs. Can I play this acoustic through a normal electric guitar amp? I don't want to have to carry two guitars and two amps around....

• Members

Acoustic guitars almost never sound good though an electric amp.

Some exceptions are acoustic or full range amps that have dual inputs for both clean acoustic and for electric overdriven, etc. Most 'electric guitar' amps don't have enough high frequency response and tend to make the acoustic sound muddy and midrangy - no sparkle.

I have a Cube30 that sounds fine either way, but it's a digital modelling amp. The Cube60 is more useable in a gig situation with a proper line out and is ofcourse louder.

I usually go through a PA and just use modelling pedals. A keyboard amp would be OK too if you go the modelling pedal route.

• Members

You can get by with it with the right amp, but it's not going to sound as good as a dedicated acoustic amp. For one thing, acoustic amps usually have special tweeters, and they also typically have tone-shaping controls designed especially to help with things like piezo quack and feedback. Some even have built-in graphic equalizers.

If you are determined to do it though, a Vox is definitely not the way I'd go. You'd want something with the potential for REALLY clean sounds, like a Fender Twin or similar or a Roland JC.

• Members

I asked that question in a guitar store once.... The salesman looked at me like I had just grown a 2nd head.... "So which is the best Marshall stack to play my accoustic through?"
I was really just curious what it would sound like :-P

It was most embarassing.

• Members

The biggest problem with an acoustic on electric amp is feedback... it's usually pretty nasty because electric amps really accent the midrange, which will make your acoustic sound honky anyway. Electric through an acoustic amp is definitely a better idea, though you're electric might sound a bit sterile or weak. It would probably sound fine if you ran it through a digital modeller first. The absolute BEST option would be to get Rivera Sedona which has seperate and excellent acoustic and electric channels. This baby is pretty expensive though. So it might just be worth it to carry two amps. But what I've learned is that you really don't need a big amp for either acoustic or electric for any small-medium venue. Small, you dont need the volume. Medium, they usually have a PA.

• Members

Originally posted by onetubetone

The biggest problem with an acoustic on electric amp is feedback... it's usually pretty nasty because electric amps really accent the midrange, which will make your acoustic sound honky anyway. Electric through an acoustic amp is definitely a better idea, though you're electric might sound a bit sterile or weak. It would probably sound fine if you ran it through a digital modeller first. The absolute BEST option would be to get Rivera Sedona which has seperate and excellent acoustic and electric channels. This baby is pretty expensive though. So it might just be worth it to carry two amps. But what I've learned is that you really don't need a big amp for either acoustic or electric for any small-medium venue. Small, you dont need the volume. Medium, they usually have a PA.

Great points. I'd add that you can just get a really small amp with a direct out and go through the PA. I got tired of lugging two heavy amps (one was always a Twin, the other was usually a Fencer Acoustasonic), especially when I only needed an acoustic for one or two songs. Now I use an Ultrasonic 30 - basically as a monitor and for tone-shaping - and run the XLR direct out to the PA. The thing is so small and light it's ridiculous, and it's a great sounding amp. If I needed a bigger amp, I'd go for an Ultrasonic 50 or 100 - they are really good acoustic amps.

• Members

hi i m new to all this umm
i was wondering if u culd give me some advice concerning the brand garrison...

i saw a garrison and i played it... it sounded really good but then i havent heard of it or anything so i m just worried if the quality of the guitar is good durabilitywise...

thanks

Archived