My Next Victim

Belva

• Members

006-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

This is a Hamer Slammer that I've had for years. It's the guitar I used to learn about setups and modding. I could never bond with the thin neck. So yesterday I put my fave neck on it and dropped in some GFS Mean 90's that I got cheap off Fleabay. I've been playing the phuck out of it all day. The guitar may be heavy, but it's got some serious resonance and sustain. The Mean 90's just sing in this guitar. It's a hard ash body with some beautiful grain. So the poly clear is coming off and I'll bleach it if needed to get it back to natural. Then it's getting some red mahogany stain and some Danish oil.

Nice, inexpensive project as I already have the stain and the Danish oil.

• Members

002.jpg

003.jpg

Progress report. I'm as far as 100 grit. You can see what I used to remove the finish from the horn area. Worked better than I expected. I should've weighed it before I started. I removed a bit off both horns and may remove some from the lower bout area. I weighed it years ago as a complete guitar and it was 8.5 lbs.

• Members

I thought it looked good before you started.

It had dings all over tha place and poly finishes don't lend themselves to repair. Oil finishes are always easier to repair. I know it's not a tone issue, but thick poly just doesn't feel good to me. Besides, I don't have much $$ coming in for the next few months. This is a free project. I already had everything and DIY'ers disease is hard to recover from.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

I finally got around to taking pics of this. The grain is more pronounced and the red is really nice IMO. I deliberately scratched the finish under the neck plate. It'll be really easy to repair WHEN it gets fooked up. I've been meaning to take pics, but every time I pick it up I end up playing the heck out of it and just forgetting the pic part.

• Members

Yea I couldnt see any dings from the pics and poly does look like the pits when it gets dinged up.

At least with lacquer you can use a lacquer stick and burn the dings in and buff them up.

Best you can do with poly is a bandaid repair that fills the ding and hopefully dries so it doesnt look too bad.

Its kind of like repairing a winshield. The ding is still there.

Doesnt look bad for a natureal look though. I think Tung oil would have been a good option to give her a little more gloss.

Luckily you can put that over the body at some later time with no additional work if you decide you want something more substantial on there.

I been banging my last build about in the studiio quite a bit and have found it to be a very durable finish if you get enough coats on there.

Archived