Action / Setup questions

Ruh916

• Members

Hey,

I need an acoustic... been gassing hard for the sweet tone..

my issue is that I need to have easy action so I dont screw up my wrist more...

I mean really easy action... like almost as easy as electric??

Are there guitars that would be better for this type of setup?

Like would drednaughts make up for lack of string gauge/action?

I like the 000 type guitars myself, a bit smaller...

• Members

A dread will sound quieter with lights or lower tension strings, at least my Epi does. I have heard this from others as well. The 000 and OM's are the way to go, they are built for lights and you can slam the action down quite a bit. An acoustic just won't feel like an electric though. Get a Martin with that sweet low profile neck and that'll be the closest.

• Members
Originally posted by Whalebot

A dread will sound quieter with lights or lower tension strings, at least my Epi does. I have heard this from others as well. The 000 and OM's are the way to go, they are built for lights and you can slam the action down quite a bit. An acoustic just won't feel like an electric though. Get a Martin with that sweet low profile neck and that'll be the closest.

Thanks! :wave:

I've been eyeing martins but I dont quite know which model I want yet, I wanna go back to GC or wherever and try some more.

• Members

Play a bunch! Try the following:
D-16GT
OM-21
000-15
000-15s
000-16gt
Larrivee OM-03
You'll probably be lucky to find the D-16 at GC, you'll have to really shop around and make some drives.
BTW the prices are all below 1K except the OM-21 which runs about 1600

• Members

If you don't want electronics don't get em, you can always throw in a K&K pure mini like I have I love it. As for the picking vs. fingerstyle, I'm just the opposite of you so I got the OM-21 with a 1 3/4 inch nut. 1 11/16 is the standard for dreads etc. The string spacing has more to do with giving your fingers enough room, but the pick probably travels a lot better across tightly spaced strings. 000-16gt is the way to go.

• Members

40 to 60% humidity is comfy for guitars. The same as would be comfy for you.

If you want easy playing guitars you should check the specs for scale length. Shorter scale will play easier. Also, you should get it set up by a good luthier, makes all the difference in the world. Cost about $100, $30 if just a basic set up done by a tech.

Shorter scale means less tension. Less tension on the top means less volume. Most Martins are 25.4". Some of the OM/000s are 24.9". Keep that in mind.

Lowering the action also means less volume because the strings have less room to vibrate.

I think you'll want a guitar that's very responsive, loud, does'nt require a lot of effort.

• Members
Originally posted by JasmineTea

40 to 60% humidity is comfy for guitars. The same as would be comfy for you.

If you want easy playing guitars you should check the specs for scale length. Shorter scale will play easier. Also, you should get it set up by a good luthier, makes all the difference in the world. Cost about $100, $30 if just a basic set up done by a tech.

Shorter scale means less tension. Less tension on the top means less volume. Most Martins are 25.4". Some of the OM/000s are 24.9". Keep that in mind.

Lowering the action also means less volume because the strings have less room to vibrate.

I think you'll want a guitar that's very responsive, loud, does'nt require a lot of effort.

Thx for the info, with the low action, short scale & small strings, a nice acoustic should still be loud enough to sound good in a small room? Easy to sing with ? I'm basically buying it for myself to play @ the house, no audience, probably wont ever leave the house.

maurysmusic.com sets up all his guits before he ships them out so he should be able to do all that I need to it?

Any other place online you recommend that has good prices?

So far I'm leaning towards 000-16gt, I've played a 000-16rgte which I liked a lot but it's hard to find certain models in the shops to play.

:idea:

• Members
Originally posted by Ruh916

Thx for the info, with the low action, short scale & small strings, a nice acoustic should still be loud enough to sound good in a small room? Easy to sing with ? I'm basically buying it for myself to play @ the house, no audience, probably wont ever leave the house.

Yes.

maurysmusic.com sets up all his guits before he ships them out so he should be able to do all that I need to it?

Any other place online you recommend that has good prices?

Elderly Instruments has great prices and sets them up prior to shipping.

So far I'm leaning towards 000-16gt, I've played a 000-16rgte which I liked a lot but it's hard to find certain models in the shops to play.

:idea:

000-16gt (rgte) is not a short scale. It's a fine guitar though, I would'nt hesitate to buy one. I don't know what you're dealing with as far as your wrist, hard to make a recomendation. If you can get to a dealer and tell them about your wrist, maybe they'll string up a Martin 25.4 scale guitar with light strings so you can get an idea of how they feel.

Another thing I'd suggest is technique. It's better for your wrist if you hold the guitar the way classical players do.

• Members
Originally posted by JasmineTea

Yes.

Elderly Instruments has great prices and sets them up prior to shipping.

000-16gt (rgte) is not a short scale. It's a fine guitar though, I would'nt hesitate to buy one. I don't know what you're dealing with as far as your wrist, hard to make a recomendation. If you can get to a dealer and tell them about your wrist, maybe they'll string up a Martin 25.4 scale guitar with light strings so you can get an idea of how they feel.

Another thing I'd suggest is technique. It's better for your wrist if you hold the guitar the way classical players do.

Oohh you're right, I was under the impression the 000's were short scale.. .hrmmmmmm

Anyway my wrist I popped @ one point.. tried playing a VERY hard drednaught acoustic @ full speed and I felt a pop in my wirst and it hasn't been the same since, the docs are all stupid & I never get consistent info, one says to do stretches, which make it hurt more, other said I had tendonitis & carpal tunnel & to take anti-inflammatories, I didn't believe that one much either. So I've just been going easy on it.

I can play electric for a bit and it doesn't bother me, so long as I pay attention to my posture and technique, I'll have to practice more with the classical position.

:thu:

• Members

Some of the 000s are short scale. But they seem to be the more expensive models. I know one of the Godin-owned companies builds a short scale. Can't think of which one it is though...Try the search function on the board, should come up with something.

• Members

There's someone in another forum who's selling a D16-GT for 735, shipped w/case. That's an excellent deal for an excellent guitar. It's not my guitar, and I'm pretty sure that it's not etiquette to post links to another forum, but if you're interested, PM me, and I can send you the link.

• Members
Originally posted by Highway_61

There's someone in another forum who's selling a D16-GT for 735, shipped w/case. That's an excellent deal for an excellent guitar. It's not my guitar, and I'm pretty sure that it's not etiquette to post links to another forum, but if you're interested, PM me, and I can send you the link.

Nice.... dont suppose you/they live in my area? I'd wanna see it first hand :idea:

Thanks tho!

Archived