I'm gassing for a gibson j45 or j45 rw

johnkline

• Members

I played a gibson j45 rw a while ago and music123 had some audio clips of a j45rw that refreshed my memory. Man that guitar was nice, I'd like to hear what a j45 sounds like, I'd hope it has that deep sounding bass like you hear on Seven Mary Three albums, etc.

Anyone have any music clips from a j45 just strumming? Opinions on differences between the two? Thanks all

john

• Members

Originally posted by johnkline

I played a gibson j45 rw a while ago and music123 had some audio clips of a j45rw that refreshed my memory. Man that guitar was nice, I'd like to hear what a j45 sounds like, I'd hope it has that deep sounding bass like you hear on Seven Mary Three albums, etc.

Anyone have any music clips from a j45 just strumming? Opinions on differences between the two? Thanks all

john

I've been looking for a nice sounding J45 for a while. Most sound rather thin to me. The J45R will sound fuller than the J45. The two most noticable differences between the two are;

1. J45R has rosewood back & sides, J45 mahogany.

2. J45R has chrome grovers and J45 has the small white tuners.

The Advanced Jumbo, which also resembles the two J's has a nice full sound, you might look for that one as well.

• Members

did they make a j-45 rosewood model in the mid 90's? I'm trying to find out when they introduced rosewood versions.

Anyway my favorite sound is seven mary three's original cd and I read somewhere the guitarist had a j-45, now I played a j45 rw about 6 months ago and remember it had some good low end bass, so I'm wondering if the mahogany version is similar in bass response. But if they didn't make rosewood models in the mid 90's that would answer my question too.

Whew!

john

• Members

Guitars with rw back and sides are supposed to be bassier. That's the main attribute of rosewood, it enhances bassiness. Whether they made rw 45s I don't know, but even if they didn't, that doesn't mean that he didn't have one. He could have had one custom made. If you find a Gibson AJ, play one, you won't be disappointed.

• Members

I got to try the:

gibson j-45, it actually had a preamp so maybe it was a j-45n? Sounded very good

also got to try a gibson aj, also sounded good, maybe a bit more bass, he told me it had a red spruce top, with rosewood back+sides, but gibson's web say's it has sitka spruce. Only thing is I didn't like the look of the pickguard or fret dots.

I guess the aj is very close I'm assuming to a j-45 rw, in bass response, but it wasn't like a wow factor compared to a regular j-45.

Anyway, I was very happy with the feel of both, they fit in my lap comfortably, I like the shorter neck length, and chording was easy.

Now I have a 1975 Ovation custom legend, and a 1997 Taylor 310-ce, but I gotta say for the way my music is developing and how I like mellow sounding guitar with bass when strumming, I can't go wrong. I'll try to find a sunburst finish J-45 if the price is good, unless I can find a steal on a j-45rw! :)

john

• Members

The standard mahogany J45 is a classic Gibson and a good one has a unique tone.The AJ with its longer scale and rosewood body was Gibson`s attempt at competing with the Martin D28 in the 1930`s.Consequently it sounds more like a Martin than a typical Gibson.

The short scale and rosewood of the J45R can contribute to a less crisp tone.

Gibson SJ200

Gibson J185

Martin D28

Martin CEO5

Blueridge BR 280

• Members

I don't wonder why you're gassin' for a j45. I have a j45.

It is one sweet guitar from top to bottom look, feel, sound and tone.

You won't be disappointed and that guitar will bring you pride and joy for the rest of your life. I played most of the other models Gibson is offering. The j45 did it for me.

• Members

I just got my J-45 1 week ago - I am still high from breathing the nitrocelulose and mahogany, maybe that's why I think this thing sounds like heaven - the bass notes are very rich and destinctive and project well - I hope it doesn't loose all this smell because it is addicting, I can't put it down. I got it from MF, fresh from Boseman Montana - Lucky!

Not sure how to attach a photo...

• Members

this will be the nicest, and most expensive guitar I've ever owned, so I'm worried about how to take of that nitro cellulose finish. Ouch they even say a strap or guitar stand could damage the finish, oh and body perspiration!

Any one who has a j-45 can you list what kind of wipe down cloth you got, or whatever you use to keep it clean?

john

• Members

I use a soft cloth. The tan kind that come with guitars.

I wipe it down ever so lightly after I play it. I really don't get too upset over normal playing wear like my own fingerprints and stuff.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm trusting this guitar was built to be played a lot and built to last last.

Archived