acoustic feedback

Carvinendorser

• Members

I have a Simon & Patrick that I put a K&k western in. This is a great sounding pickup(sound board transducer), very natural without that piezo fake processed sound. This thing feeds back excessively. I bought one of those fancy lute hole sound hole covers, no deal. K&k talked me into their pure pre amp, no deal. I notice that they now recomend the mini, maybe they figured it out? I use it in a garage sized room with a loud drummer

:rolleyes: so it may be better in a different space.

Any thoughts on this. I may have went with the typical piezo and just lived with that sound if I knew this was a how it would be.

• Members

I have had this problem with my D28's EMG p'up played thru my 100 watt Ultrasound. I had to use one of those rubber Feedback Buster sound hole covers, and be very careful about my proximity and position to the amp. I used a long chord and made sure I my guitar did not even come close to pointing towards the amp.

I also had a bad gig when trying to use one of those "hot spot" acoutic mics. Of course the sound guy was a drunk doofus and was no help.

I feel your pain... trying to play acoustically in a full band situation is difficult. My suggestion is the Feedback Buster sound hole cover.

• Members

Loud drummer in a small room is a big job for an acoustic.

Maybe get a soundhole mag for that gig and use the K&K for smaller jobs? I use the Mini in some places, a Rare Earth in others, and sometimes I'll combine them.

And I guess you already know, but you really need to get away from the speaker, consider reflections, etc. It's very different from playing an electric in band where you just stand anywhere you want.

• Members

Because SBTs turn your guitar's ENTIRE face into a sensitive microphone, they will always feedback in performance situations, because they not only P/U you, but also the bass and drums, unless you keep the volume VERY low (hard to do w/ 99% of all drummers!)...which is why you VERY rarely see professionals use SBTs.

My best advice is get a UST and learn how to use it...you see, you can't over-play (beat your guitar to death) w/ a UST because playing over-playing causes voltage spikes (we know this electrical phenomenon as "quack"!)...

The best advice I ever got on using a UST was from a fellow picker who got a GREAT sound from his UST-equipted classical: "Treat it like a sexy woman...you'll find you'll ALWAYS enjoy more the results of caressing, rather than pounding on, either of 'em!"...

When properly used, USTs sound great! :)

• Members

You might just be in an impossible situation, but try to EQ the feedback out:

-Try to figure out if the feedback tends to always be at the same pitch (usually around the open low A or D on an acoustic). I don't know what your preamp is like, but most feature some kind of notch/ sweepable midrange filter. If you can center the frequency around the problem and cut it, you might have a little better time.

Archived