Does anyone have any "real" experience with a Rainsong A-WS1000?

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

I will be buying my first "good" acoustic guitar in early `07 and I`m starting my exaustive research now. I`ve been playing for over 20 years and have never owned anything nicer than a low end Ovation. Right now I don`t even own an acoustic. So that will give you a little insight as to how excited I am about this.

I will have a maximum budget of $2,000 but prefer to keep the price around 1,500 new, so I can also buy a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. amp at the same time. I was originaly looking at getting a mid-range model of a solid wood construction cutaway with electronics. While researching I stumbled across the Rainsong A-WS1000 Advanced series model.

I have to admit that I am intrigued by this all graphite/carbon fiber guitar. I have heard very good things about Rainsong`s tone, but not about this model in particular. There is only one review in the HC data base so that was a dead end. I checked their website, but that doesn`t tell you much. Just basic features and colors.

I don`t spend much time on the acoustic forum, but I know you guys would be the experts. So here I am to get some feedback, opinions, advice, etc. I`m basically looking for a good honest rundown of the guitar. Performance, action, tone, build, cosmetics, etc. Any pros or cons that you guys can think of.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

I will be buying my first "good" acoustic guitar in early `07 and I`m starting my exaustive research now. I`ve been playing for over 20 years and have never owned anything nicer than a low end Ovation. Right now I don`t even own an acoustic. So that will give you a little insight as to how excited I am about this.

I will have a maximum budget of $2,000 but prefer to keep the price around 1,500 new, so I can also buy a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. amp at the same time. I was originaly looking at getting a mid-range model of a solid wood construction cutaway with electronics. While researching I stumbled across the Rainsong A-WS1000 Advanced series model.

I have to admit that I am intrigued by this all graphite/carbon fiber guitar. I have heard very good things about Rainsong`s tone, but not about this model in particular. There is only one review in the HC data base so that was a dead end. I checked their website, but that doesn`t tell you much. Just basic features and colors.

I don`t spend much time on the acoustic forum, but I know you guys would be the experts. So here I am to get some feedback, opinions, advice, etc. I`m basically looking for a good honest rundown of the guitar. Performance, action, tone, build, cosmetics, etc. Any pros or cons that you guys can think of.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Are you one of those electric forum guys that talks bad about us acoustic folks? :D Just kidding.

I never played a Rainsong before. I have read a lot of good things about them. I'm way too old school to consider buying a non wood acoustic. You can buy a lot of different solid wood construction guitars in that price range.

I would look at every Martin, Gibson, Larrivee, Taylor and Alvarez Yari in the $1500 range.

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

I would look at every Martin, Gibson, Larrivee, Taylor and Alvarez Yari in the $1500 range.

What he said.

I've never touched a graphite guitar martin, but I have heard (buy a martin) nothing but good things about them from people who own them. (OM-21.) I haven't been playing too long, but I'm with Hud on being too old school for non-wood acoustics (D-28). Still, '07 is a long way off and you've got plenty of time to try everything, so no point in not giving Rainsong a test drive (before buying a D-35).

• Members

Thanks for the replies fellas. I am definately keeping my options open at this point. I have a list that`s about 20 guitars long right now. Some are pretty nutty and most are traditional all solid wood guitars. Everything in my price range is being considered.

I even spent some time with a Martin Alternative X last weekend. That little aluminum topped guitar really suprised me. I tried it on a whim and turned out really liking it. Even my wife thought it was nice. Not the way it sounded, but the looks. She turns a deaf ear on my guitar "hobby". LOL

About the only thing I`ve decided on was the Acoustasonic Jr. amp. It sounded really sweet with every guitar I tried through it. I`m definately sold on it.

Are you one of those electric forum guys that talks bad about us acoustic folks?
:D
Just kidding.

Don`t worry about that. I actually hang out on the amp forum all the time. You know we don`t really respect anyone. HAHAHAHA

The truth is, I don`t hang around here much because I don`t even own an acoustic right now. It would be hard to take me seriously in that light. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

Eric

• Members

I have had a WS-1000 Rainsong for 5 years. Best guitar by far I have owned, and I have had a Martin OM-28, D-28, D12-20,

a Guild D-50, and have played lots of Taylors. All great guitars, but as good as they are, they sound dead compared to the Rainsong. It sounds more like a piano. And plugged, in, forget about it, unbelievable. Also great action, and fast neck.

Lastly, stays in tune forever. Very light, as well.

I love the look of wood, and have a maple/rosewood mandolin

for the aesthetics. Good luck. They are all good guitars.

• Members

I have played but never owned a WS1000.

I think you either love them or hate them. Personally I liked the sound a lot and was quite impressed. Unfortunately the price point they are on by the time they reach Australia doesn't make them a very attractive buy.

If the price was more reasonable here I'd definitely consider getting one.

BUT - not for my first decent acoustic; I'd still want a really nice wooden guitar first.

• Members

I've never played or owned one, but I have heard one at two different forum jams. The RS definately has it's own voice, I can pick it out easily in a quartet.

The fellow who owns it is a damn good player who is very much into top quality gear. The fact that he liked the RS enough to buy it says a lot to me. Someone mentioned a piano, he also says it reminds him of a piano, and he says it records better than any of his A/Es.

• Members

Maybe you love the Rainsong because of the aesthetics or something and you wouldn't want to consider this...

And I know there's another thread going on about this company, but when you're considering carbon fiber guitars, you've got to mention CA Guitars. In my opinion they look classier, and in my opinion (and many people who have compared them) they sound better and more natural than Rainsongs. And they're slightly less expensive.

Anyway, just another option to consider.

Archived