Home brew shielding paint?

Belva

• Members

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/diy-conductive-paint-cavity-shielding-589012/

I remember a thread about this some time ago. I stumbled on to this when looking to purchase a large quantity of shielding paint. I've had good luck using shielding paint in the past. I have customers who want their guitars & basses shielded and the paint is expensive. I also don't like the copper tape which sometimes uses a conductive adhesive and sometimes doesn't.

Any thoughts?

• Members

It is hard to beat copper tape. I use the cheap non conducting glue tape and flow solder along the joints using a small torch. I roll tubes with the tape for the wire tunnels. It is cheap, easy and permanent. The fellow on Talkbass expended much effort for suboptimal results although it looked nice. It is difficult thoroughly coat the wire tunnels with paint.

• Members

I fail to see the need for shield tubes. Take a strat frinstance, I use shielded wire from the output to the volume pot. A shield tube there would be redundant. The only other spot on a strat would be the string ground. That's a ground, another case of shielding redundancy. For guitar with a rear mount control cavity the only place you'd need tubes is the pup wire holes. All pups have shielded hook up wire. More redundancy.

Yes, copper tape is marginally better than shielding paint, but it can be a pain to get into the tight corners. And the end result always looks like some kid got into the tin foil and scattered it all over the house.

• Members

All pups have shielded hook up wire?

If the guitar has shielded pup wire, theres no need to sheild the guitar interior at all.

What CX was saying, if the guitar needs shielding because it has single wire conductors like fender

teles and strats have, then using copper tubes through wire channels to the pups around the pairs of wires

works the same as three conductor shielded cable.

In fact to save on copper foil, you can do your wires that way instead of pasting the entire interior with foil

and get better shielding results to boot. Or you can do like I do and just replaces the single conductor pickup

wires with a dual core shielded wire and save on the cost of copper foil installation and the hastle all together.

Soldering the new wire on to fender type pups if really simple. you just need to be careful not to disturb the

winding wires at the solder loop holes on the pickup.

Archived