Buffing a Satin Finish

T.B.

• Members

yes, I buffed out a 000-15s just recently. worked pretty well.

I have included the instructions which I got from mac1588 over @ the UMGF here a while back.

" Buffing Out a Satin Finish Here are guidelines for the "two-step" process of buffing out the sides and back of the satin finish on a Martin guitar:

NOTE: This process is presented for Martin guitars only. Other brands of guitars may use different finish materials for which this process may not work, or may even be harmful to the finish.

The ingredients that you need are Meguiar's Scratch-X, which comes in a black tube, and Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish Step 2, which is the polish and comes in a maroon container. These are available at most auto parts stores. You will also need to take an old white cotton T-shirt and cut it up into 4x4 squares.

Start with the Scratch-X on a small portion of the back. Fold a 4x4 square in by the corners so that it makes an application ball. Put a small amount of Scratch-X on and rub it into a small area on the guitar, using a lot of elbow grease. Use a clean 4x4 square to wipe off the excess and bring the shine up. Then do an adjacent area, etc. until all is done. Use a straight up-and-down motion rather than circular except where it's impossible, such as near the neck heel when you're doing the sides.

Do the entire back and sides this way. You can also put a light coating on the neck as well, although your natural oils will gloss the neck up over time as you play. You will miss spots, and there will be spots that you will need to go over again. Reflecting the guitar in the sunlight will help you identify these.

You may think that your guitar is beautiful just with the Scratch-X. But take the time and apply the #2 as well, using the same technique. This will deepen the shine to the point where you can see your reflection clearly. Step 2 will go a lot quicker.

The result will be not just that you have a glossy guitar, but more importantly you will have brought out all the beautiful wood grain that is hidden in the satin finish. The Scratch-X is a light compound and actually takes out some of the filler that Martin puts in, and as a result the grain is better exposed. This causes no harm to your guitar and should not change its tone. It also should not void its warranty, except as to the finish on the sides and back, of course, BUT

• Members

Buffed my T314 using Mequires as Mac describes. It comes out "semi gloss". Since then I have finished two guitars and buffed with StewMac products - starting with 1500 grit color sanding, then medium and fine polish, using a lambs wool bonnet. That gave as high a gloss as any factory finish. I would be very leary of color sanding and machine polishing a normal satin finish, altho the word is that satin and gloss are exactly the same - they just don't do the machine buffing at the factory.

My feeling is that hand polishing with any good compound is safe, but you will not get the deep wet look of a machine buffed finish. My feeling is that machine buffing at home may not be safe.

The back of the Taylor neck is polishing itself and has a fairly high gloss.

• Members

on a glossy finish any imperfections in the finish level will be easily seen. so when they do a glossy finish, they do lots of leveling/sanding to make the finish look perfect when its buffed shiny. on a satin finish less effort is made to make the finish perfectly level because the duller finish refelects less light and you won't see the irregularities in the finish as well.

Just an fyi for y'all. :)

• Members

My feeling is that hand polishing with any good compound is safe, but you will not get the deep wet look of a machine buffed finish. My feeling is that machine buffing at home may not be safe.

I work with power tools all day and the other night, while buffing out an old archtop that I'd laquered, I caught the end of a rag and nearly tore my hand off. I've finally got a system down where I hold the guitar in one hand and buff with the other. But I'd agree....you've really got to be careful.

• Members

Originally posted by Blackwatch

I work with power tools all day and the other night, while buffing out an old archtop that I'd laquered, I caught the end of a rag and nearly tore my hand off. I've finally got a system down where I hold the guitar in one hand and buff with the other. But I'd agree....you've really got to be careful.

Good point - but I was really refering to safety with respect to the finish itself. It is my understanding that on a Taylor the gloss and satin finishes are the same composition of UV lacquer - that the only thing different is the final buffing. However, if it is less coats, less prep on the wood before finishing, or, if in fact I'm wrong about the lacquer, trying to machine buff may go thru the finish to the wood.

The hand process doen't cut into the finish very far - it is about like using a "cleaner" on your car finish to remove oxidation. When you start machine "cleaning" your car finish with a big orbital polisher you run the risk of cutting thru the paint, particularly on ridges and edges. The same could happen on the satin finish.

This is kind of drifting the thread, but there are two kinds of power buffers - you can chuck a foam or wool pad in your drill and buff in a circle - pretty cheap, kind of hard to control, and may result in swirls. The other way, which is what the pros and the factory uses is an abor with a lambs wool wheel - much easier to control. But like any power tool, you need to keep a very healthy respect for them.

• Members

Originally posted by T.B.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Of course I'm letting my guitar tech do the honors.

Really no reason to. You can buy the Mequiers products at your local auto parts store and try it on a small area - say the back of the headstock. When you are satisfied take the strings off and work on small areas. Be careful on the edges but these compounds are not too abrasive.

Just don't be disappointed at the results - it will not be the deep glossy finish of buffed nitrocellulose lacquer, but in my opinion it is much nicer that the satin. Queequeg posted the proceedure from the Martin forum, here is one of the pics that was at the bottom of the original post.

cherry1

Archived