Mini jumbos unplugged/anybody play a Dean Performer?

ejk

• Members

I have a Dean Exotica FM that I might sell to my sister's husband. I like the Exotica, but I'm more of an electric player and it sort of feels big and clunky to me since I'm a small person. I was thinking about picking up a Dean Performer E or Performer Archtop thinking that a mini jumbo might be more or less a better fit for me as compared to a full sized acoustic. My only question is what can I expect from a mini jumbo in terms of sound projection and overal sound when compared to a full sized acoustic? I do play through an amp, but I usually play unplugged a lot more. With that in mind, is it stupid for me to sell the Exotica in favor of a Performer?

• Members

Check out the electronics carefully. My son owned an Exotica. I hope the Performer has better electronics. I liked the acoustic sound & the feel of the Extotica. But the electronics were really weak. It demanded the insertion of a new pick up. You could not even cure the problem with a JoeMeek pre-amp. It was terminal.

Dean makes some very pretty guitars at really beautiful prices. Good luck.

• Members

I have two tacoma guitars - an EM9 (spruce/hog little jumbo) and a DR12 (spruce/rosewood dred). The EM9 does lose some volume in comparison to the dred, but it has an 'immediacy' to its attack and a sweetness that is lacking in the dred. Don't get me wrong - the dred has good tone, but it's a little boomy for sitting around and noddling. I actually find myself picking up the little jumbo much more often because: 1) it's smaller and more comfortable to play sitting, and 2) the tone compliments my singing both in terms of volume (doesn't overpower my pipes) and timbre.

Bottom line - If I had to choose only one, I'd keep the plain-jane little jumbo.

Archived