best acoustic under $500?

cjaffe

• Members

so, I up until this point I had an Epiphone PR150 acoustic which served its purpose pretty well and was an ok $99 guitar. Recently some of the tuners fell apart and instead of buying some new tuners I figured I might as well just retire it and upgrade. I like most finishes but probably not a sunburst because that was the color of my Epiphone. Also, doesnt matter if it is acoustic-electric or not because I probably wont be plugging it in much. Thanks!:D

• Members

Originally posted by cjaffe

so, I up until this point I had an Epiphone PR150 acoustic which served its purpose pretty well and was an ok $99 guitar. Recently some of the tuners fell apart and instead of buying some new tuners I figured I might as well just retire it and upgrade. I like most finishes but probably not a sunburst because that was the color of my Epiphone. Also, doesnt matter if it is acoustic-electric or not because I probably wont be plugging it in much. Thanks!
:D

You can find used Epiphone Masterbilts on Ebay for less than $500. The Masterbilts feature solid wood construction, Grover Sta-tite tuners, bone saddle, bone nut and a nice case with a built in humidity gauge. They look and sound awesome.

I bought a DR-500R (rosewood) for $449 last week. It was sold as a factory blemished model. The guitar looks excellent. They sell for $649 new. There is a DR-500M (mahogany) on Ebay for $409 right now.

Some other brands to consider: Blueridge, Alvarez MD models, Seagull, Aria AD Series, Carvin Cobalt and Yamaha.

• Members

Originally posted by valleyguy

However, in that price range, I would always recommend a used guitar.

Yep. If nothing else, the wood has had a chance to stabilize, and the really bad ones get weeded out.

• Members

The used $400 Guild D4 NT I am currently selling.

(Sorry 'bout the spam)

However, in that price range, I would always recommend a used guitar.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the recommendation to always go with a used guitar in that price-range, I must say that the D4 NT is a really great guitar. Why are you selling it?

• Members

I recenlty bought a Martin D-16R and am using the money from the sale of the Guild to finance the Martin, moving up the chain.

I was going to wait to sell the Guild before I bought the Martin, but was overcome with GAS and couldn't wait to buy the Martin. I still need the cash from the Guild. I'd keep it, but I also have a Guild GAD30, so another mahogany guitar is just too many. Though the GAD 30 doesn't sound anything like the D4. Both sweet sounding.

• Members

Originally posted by guit30

If you notice, it is just another form of MF site

Jim

No. The OLD Guitar Center website sent you to the Musicians Friend website when you wanted to buy something. Now GC has their own merchant site.

I know they are the same company, but now they are seperate on the web. It makes no sense that GC doesn't sell Parkwoods on their site.

• Members

My first "real" guitar was the Ibanez AW100. Paid about $200 in 1999 from Sam Ash music store. Funny thing, I still love this guitar and would never part with it. I put a UST in it and use it all the time. I now have several others and continue to look around but...regardless of the money I couldnt have made a better choice. Certain aspects of a guitar or any instrument are objective...finnish, construction, durability in a desired use (ie something to take on a float trip that will survive vs something that will never leave your living room) aside from that it is all personal preference for sound, feel and style. You have a HUGE amount of choices in that $500 range today as opposed to 15 years ago. Your lucky, the best one is the one you love to play and play regularly!

• Members

I have an Ibanez AEL20D that I think I paid around $350 for. Nice thing is that it's a bulletproof plywood special that honestly doesn't sound too bad. I play it on stage a lot since it can take a LOT more punishment than my Gibson SJ-100 and humidity doesn't bother it nearly as much. Also doubles as a great campfire guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by guit30

New GC site has same products has MF

Jim

Yes, but they will be running different specials (like they are right now) and your money goes to Guitar Center now instead of MF. I know they are part of the same company. They just happen to be different divisions. I fully expect MF and GC to have exclusive products in the near future in order to have seperate identities.

Archived