Gut Strings, Real or Synthetic

Stackabones

• Members

Just curious about this and I've been googling around.

Aquila has a Gut & Silk. Perhaps if I had a trust fund or if I were a dentist I could afford them. A special warning on one of the Aquila pages says, "These strings must not be tuned above a=430hz!"

The Aquila Alabastro nylguts look more affordable. link

I think the Aquila Ambro sets are similar to the Alabastro ones.

So, anyone with gut or synthetic gut string experience? Anything else I need to know?

• Members

Real catgut strings are a waste of money. They break easily, do not stay in tune for more than a few minutes at a time, cannot be tuned to modern pitch, and sound dull and lifeless. They are also not made from cats!

Synthetic gut strings are nylon.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Real catgut strings are a waste of money. They break easily, do not stay in tune for more than a few minutes at a time, cannot be tuned to modern pitch, and sound dull and lifeless. They are also not made from cats!

Synthetic gut strings are nylon.

Well, alright then!

According to Aquila's website--

"The development of a new synthetic material that can imitate the acoustical characteristics of gut but without the typical defects such as high cost, short string life, and severe instability to changes of climate, has always been a fundamental goal of Aquila's research. Nylgut is the result and is a perfect synthesis of the acoustical properties of Nylon and of PVF strings. Nylgut's formula is protected by U.S. and International patents."

Not sure what PVF is. But it's got that and nylon, so it's more than nylon?

I think the cat pic/catgut was a bit of funning.

Archived