Keep this or return it? Help please

chiro972

• Members

OK, I bought a Breedlove AD25/SR Plus and at first it was love, but I have a few issues and I think I should maybe return it to GC, but I want some second opinions on the issues.

1: Onboard tuner. Seems inaccurate. Says I'm in tune when the strings are "slightly" off. I use my Korg tuner and it shows it to be off and it sounds a bit off. The spread of tones that give the green light are just a bit too wide, so when the onboard tuner says a string is in tune, it may be or it may be a bit off.

2: I bought the guitar to play in the praise band at church. Big church with expensive sound system. When I play the Breedlove, I get bad feedback, so much so that I can't really let a chord ring out without it starting to feed back. They tried to get it out, but finally handed me a different acoustic/electric and the feedback was gone. Tried my old Ibanaz AE the next day and still no feedback.

3: Tuning seems slightly unstable. Sometimes I play for a while and tuning stays right on, other times it goes off pretty quickly.

I am just afraid to get to GC and have some schmuck tell me that there really are no problems. I certainly can't replicate the feedback for them on my churches sound system and the tuning issues are slight. On the other hand, I paid $1000 for this guitar, and for that price I feel like it should be pretty much perfect. I have not changed the srings that came on it, but I did loosen them and took some nut files and fixed a couple of the ones that were hanging up and put some graphite in all the slots, but the tuning issues remain.

GC is a good long drive for me, but Breedlove told me I had to take it there for verification of the problems, but that once that was done, GC could send it back and Breedlove would send a new one to replace it. As I say, I just worry the guys at GC will not agree that there is a problem.

Any opinions??

• Members

I would take it back to them. Perhaps it is not "defective" in the strictest sense of the word, but it is not suited to the purpose for which you purchased it. i don't think they will give you any grief about returning it, even if you ask for a refund, rather than an exchange/credit.

• Members

"If you're not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return it in its original condition within 30 days of the in-store purchase date or online purchase shipment date. (14 days on certain items, see below**), and we'll give you a full refund."

If you're not satisfied, and it's within 30 days, take it back. Don't worry about having to explain why you don't like it to a guy who would likely be working the mobile phone counter at best buy if Guitar Center wasn't around.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. One thing that worried me also is that it is not in the original condition. I haven't abused it at all, but I did take the plastic off the pick-guard and so it shows that it has been played. I guess that is pretty typical though isn't it?

• Members

I would return it, pickguard cover on or off. You are unhappy with the guitar; it is not performing as it should. If you keep it, you will only feel worse and worse and eventually feel ripped-off and resentful. Guitar Center wants your repeat business; so do them and you a foavor and take it back.

• Members

Take it back or forever feel remorse. If I spend $1,000 I expect $1,000 worth of guitar. This one is not. Nothing against Breedlove but this guitar is not working. Just in case they try jerking you around remember the "customer is right." They will most likely work with you. Companies depend on return business. There is too much competition out there.:thu:

• Members

the feedback is not the guitar but rather the pickup. unfortunately your pickup is built in and destructive. you could try replacing the p/u, but its an expensive option that may not work.

for the feedback issue, try out a lute hole. fairly resonably priced soundhole covers that do not completely mute the natural sound of the guitar, and also look pretty dang good in my opinion. if you're familiar with shane and shane, which i would guess you are, they use them once in a while in their breeds as well.

for the onboard tuner, just dont rely on it; use it to get in the general vicinity, then tune by ear. its a pretty big crutch to rely on a tuner all the time, especially on an acoustic. the only time it really would help is in the middle of a set, but even so, as other instruments are going, any p/u based tuner is going to be a hassle with all the loud sound around it.

• Members

well, you guys helped convince me. I't taking it back tuesday. I'll post an update and let you know what happens.

Just so noone get's the wrong idea about breedlove, I had already called them and they were very concerned and Chris from Breedlove told me that he would hand pick one to make sure it was right, so now I just have to deal with guitar center.

• Members

Another vote for taking it back. It's obvious that you're not entirely pleased with it, and there are a lot of guitars you could get for $1000. Is it within the 30 days? If so, it shouldn't be a problem at all, especially with the issues you have.

Archived