New Intellitouch PT-1

Rickkkk

• Members

Fooled around with the Intellitouch last night. First of all, you should all know that I have always tuned all my acoustics by ear, with a tuning fork, for the last 30 years. I still rely alot on my ears - never failed me. I bought the Intellitouch to help me tune in noisy conditions (while playing with others, or with audience noise). As such, I won't be comparing it against any other electronic tuners, since I only use those for my electrics and they are pedal-based (Boss GT-6, DigiTech RP-80).

That said, while using the Intellitouch last night, I found it to be very accurate, in that a guitar (my Yamaha) that I had recently tuned with a fork was close to perfect, according to the Intellitouch. A couple of cents on 1 or 2 strings to adjust ... pretty well what I was expecting. As mentioned in the product's instructions, it reacts differently depending on where you position it on the body of the instrument, and this in itself seemed to vary from guitar to guitar. For example, it reacted best on my Yamaha when positioned on the side of the headstock, between 2 tuners. On the A&L and on the Gibson, best was on top of the headstock. I also tested a few strings on my Strat, and the Intellitouch reacted very quickly there as well when clipped to the top of the headstock.

Where I think I'm going to find it VERY useful, besides the above-mentioned initial reason for purchasing it, is in the speed that I'm able to tune. Example: my son had a friend over yesterday and the kid "tried" to retune my Gibson 12-string. He thought it should have been 1 step down, and I always keep it a full tone down. Well, he basically messed the whole thing up, not being familiar with 12 strings .... I managed to tune it back to D G C F A D in about 5 minutes with the Intellitouch. It would probably have taken me around 15 by ear. I had all 3 acoustic guitars tuned in less than 20 minutes, including all the time wasted trying it out in different positions, etc. ...

So all in all ... I'm very happy with the product so far. Especially since I was able to get it new for USD$35.00, shipping included, on an EBay auction. They sell for around CAD$75.00 here in Montreal.

I'll be checking it out at band practice tonight to see how it performs in the noisy conditions it was initially purchased for. Also want to try it out on my mandolin.

Cheers !

• Members

Originally posted by Rickkkk

Thanks, Ray. I'm anxious to test it in noisy situations.

I'll update this afterwards.

I've had mine for several years.

You will find that it will not work well in very noisy environments, particularly if there is an electric band playing. That music will vibrate the guitar you are trying to tune and give false readings. If you are in a place with fairly loud talking & so on it will do fine. Where it fails is the loud music.

With that in mind however, if you're in a situation with other acoustic instruments you'll probably be ok, or at least you will be much better off than the microphone type tuner.

Archived