how to remove a bridge?

EvilTwin

• Members

I've been researching this, and there are a bunch of different opinions on it. The main three being:

-------

1.) Use heat to loosen the glue, then remove with a sharp edge.

2.) No heat, but use a fine sharp edge (knife or chisel) to slowly work it off.

3.) Get a good chisel, position it correctly where the bridge meets the body, and give it a good hammer pop.

-------

I can't say that I'm experienced enough for number three, so that leaves me with options one and two.

Anyone care to give their views?

The guitar in question is a Cordoba Gitano O-5. Gypsy jazz boxes usually have a floating bridge, but this one has a flush, glued bridge. I'm looking to remove it and convert it to the traditional two-foot design (hopefully to give a little extra resonance and a touch more bass).

• Members

EvilTwin.....Why not, Steam it (the Saddle) to loosen the glue
And use a artist palette (warmed up) to slide between the Bridge and Top......

and I would have expected no different from guitarcapo...
He hasn't changed his attitude since he's been posting here

Still the obnoxious person he ever was.....

• Members

Thread drift - back when I was racing boats a long time ago one of our motor builders took a 15 cu in alcohol burning racing outboard motor and built it into a chain saw (it had a radiator and expansion chamber). He took it to one of those logger festivals and entered it in the log cutting contest - won hands down. As I recall the officials banned it - something about the hot water being unsafe - hell, I though the whole thing was scary. Your Husky looks like a modern verstion of that thing

Archived