Guitar Storage?

mammynun

• Members

looking for info on the best way to store guitars... electric and (mostly) acoustic. The guitars are always played monthly, just not every day/week; but sometimes they're played daily for weeks at a time. Is it OK to leave them on "stage stands," or should the be cased after every use? They're in a "humanly comfortable" climate controlled evironment....

I enjoy looking at them, and seeing them makes me more likely to play them, BUT I certainly do NOT want them to be damaged 'cause I'm too lazy to put them back in their hard cases...

and as a sub-question... does anyone think that early guitars' tone is "somewhat" derived from lack or modern climate control? Not that I would ever put a guitar in the garage, but pre-war Martins usually didn't have airconditioning....?

• Members

I have my guitars hung with String Swing wall mounts and a couple on stands with no problems as of yet! Live in a pretty diverse climate (Pennsylvania) as well..

If you do this you can still enjoy looking at them, it makes an even better, more spacious, display as in my opinion, and they're protected from a lot of dings from moving them around.

Dylin

• Members

Ive seen a few guitars that have come crashing down from their wall mounts - and i know a few people who have never had a problem - guess it just depends on how their put in and how you treat them - kids, pets etc. Im a big fan thou of taking the tension down a bit and storing them in their decent hardshell cases - Most of my guitars have been in my possesion for 30-35 years and a few of them still look brand new - so i really think it depends on how much you play them , but when you have a bunch you dont play alot , cases are a good alternative- espessially when stored for a decent period of time

• Members

Humidity has the biggest effect on acoustic guitars.

I leave my acoustic guitar in the case just to play it safe. I install a sound hole humidifier when the humidity level dips below 40% (right now the humidity level is 70% - I live in Michigan).

My electric guitar is hanging on the wall in a String Swing hanger.

Bulging fret ends could occur (acoustic and electric) if your rosewood or ebony fretboard is dry and exposed to low humidity for extended periods (think "Guitar Center" as a good example of bulging fret ends). A well conditioned fret board (lemon oil, fretboard conditioner, etc.) and a room humidifier is the best solution if you want to leave your guitars out.

Archived