Tonal differences with different size acoustics?

LaXu

• Members

I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha LL6 or LS6. Nearly the same specs but different body shape.

LL6:

LL6_TBS_medium_jpg.jpg

LS6:

LS6_medium_jpg.jpg

Ignore the finish on the first one, I'll be getting a natural finish model. The store most likely doesn't have both on stock so I can't just compare them side to side.

But what differences would there be in sound between the two? I must say that the LS6 looks nicer, being all curvy. :)

• Members

I don't think the second is a jumbo though, they have one more model, the LJ6 that is the jumbo:

LJ_6_medium_jpg.jpg

Hence the confusion since the LS6 seems to be somewhere between the dread and the jumbo. Is it what they call the OOO shape?

• Members

Here is a general look at shapes, at least from Martin's viewpoint

Martinguitarshapes.jpg

When I googles those Yamaha models, some ads call the LL6 a "classic dreadnaught" and the LS6 a "small bodied guitar". From the pics the LL6 sorta looks like the Martin idea of a GA, while the LS is more like a OM or 000.

Everything else the same - tone woods, bracing, age, etc - the larger bodied guitar will TEND to be bassier, boomier, probably better for flatpicking and strumming, while the smaller bodied guitar will TEND to be more balanced from bass to treble, more comfortable to hold, probably better for finger style playing. Small guitars can be remarkably loud - and can be strummed or played with a pick perfectly well. Of course dreads are the guitar of choice for bluegrass, but can be fingerpicked too.

Jumbos are somewhere in the middle - big loud cowboy guitars (but don't tell Gary Davis that you can't play blues on one).

• Members

Thanks for the diagram and tone info. I was scouring through some guitar magazines and noticed a NAMM blurb from the time the new L series Yamaha's were introduced and the article mentioned that the LS is a "small folk" model. In the pic with all three models side by side the LS definitely looked smaller.

I think I'll play safe and go with the LL6, but will give the others a try if I can find 'em.

Archived