Singing and playing at the same time help

eddidaz

• Members

I've just recently figured out how to play and sing at the same time, but I've never been much of a singer really. Could you give this quick recording a listen, and let me know if you think I should try to improve my voice, or just not bother.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/37904/1719776

Please excuse the couple of mistakes, did this quickly 1st time.

• Members

Its not very bad at all. Not being an amazing singer myself, I'd recommend you take the following advice with a grain of salt:

While you're almost perfectly in tune the whole time even when its a little high for you, your tone is rather flat. Just sounds like you're a little new to the whole world of singing. Just like guitar, it takes loads of practice to make a sound you really like.

It might prove helpful to take some voice lessons or join a choir; seems like most of your singing can be improved with knowledge of choir-y stuff: singing into your soft pallette, rounding out your vowels, etc. You don't have to sound like you're in an opera or anything, but being in choir has genuinely helped me better understand why my singing doesn't sound good when it does.

Just my two cents, for what its worth. :)

Ellen

• Members

Even though the vocals weren't recorded with great quality, I think I get a good representation of your voice. Your singing is fine, you are hitting the notes, and you aren't screwing up the playing too much. Sounds great for a noob singer though!

Tip: GET LOUD BROTHER! Scream your vocals so you can learn to sing from your gut (diaphragm) instead of your throat. You don't always have to sing like you are screaming, but you really want to work your lungs and get to hear the real character of your voice, and screaming is good training for this. If you don't push your diaphragm, your vocals will be very thin, and yours sound very nasal, like maybe your nose is plugged up. Pretend like you are singing to the neighbors, or play your guitar as loud as you can, and then try to sing over it. When most people start singing, they are used to singing to themselves, and you can always hear yourself fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone else can. You're singing over an instrument now.

• Members

LOL. I struggled with this very thing when I started. Took me a very long time to get my fingerstyle where it sounded okay but singing with it was a whole new challenge. You're gonna be fine. It will all develop naturally time.

• Members

Wow, thanks for the positive comments and encouragement guys :D I was half expecting to be shot down!

Are there any methods or lessons for improvement? I can't really afford a teacher and I don't fancy joining a choir. Should I just keep playing, trying to sing louder from the diaphragm, recording and listening to myself (despite my rather shoddy mic)?

How can I stop sounding so nasal. I've not got a cold or anything stuffed up my nose, so I don't really know where I'm going wrong there. Maybe I need some breathing exercises or something?

• Members
Wow, thanks for the positive comments and encouragement guys
:D
I was half expecting to be shot down!

Are there any methods or lessons for improvement? I can't really afford a teacher and I don't fancy joining a choir. Should I just keep playing, trying to sing louder from the diaphragm, recording and listening to myself (despite my rather shoddy mic)?

How can I stop sounding so nasal. I've not got a cold or anything stuffed up my nose, so I don't really know where I'm going wrong there. Maybe I need some breathing exercises or something?

Try these sites for ideas:

a2z-singing-tips.com

www.vocalist.org.uk/exercises.html

www.scena.org/lsm/sm7-7/intro.html

• Members

+1, voice is good, keep working on it!

I agree with the rest ,, keep working on it,, It seems like you are singing more from your mouth than from your gut....Alot of amazing things happen when you figure out how to really bring it up from the gut. Your range increases,, as does the whole richness of your voice. I would guess that the links terry posted may address this... have fun and keep singing. rat

• Members

how's your posture when you're singing? you need to be very relaxed and try to project (sing to the back of the room, not necessarily louder, but clearer and stronger). Ideally you want the mic to be a little higher than your mouth. say, nose high. This tilts your head back and opens your airways a bit more than if you're looking at the floor.

good luck

• Members

I agree with the others...not a bad first attempt!

Like was mentioned...you gotta let it rip. I don't mean yell..just project more. Sounded like you were afraid to be heard. You have a good voice and you sounded on key to me. Let it go!

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Dep

Archived