2 piezos into 1 preamp

musicdog400

• Members

I have used these simple piezo buffer circuits before with good luck.  I was thinking maybe I could connect two piezos to the input of the preamp by adding a 1 or 2 meg series resistor for each piezo element, before the preamp.  Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether this would work ?  Or maybe I should just order the parts and try it.

• Members

What kind of piezos?

Radio Shack piezo elements.

What kind of preamp?

A simple JFET buffer like this:

JFET buffer

if these are acoustic guitar peizos, why are you using more than one?

Yes for an acoustic.  One to mount on the under the top, under the normal six string bridge.  One to mount under the top, under the super treble harp string bridge.  Perhaps one would work ok.  I did an experiment on a solid body guitar, where I mounted a piezo under a wood bridge (not saddle) and one was not enough, the outer strings were noticably quieter than the center strings, where the piezo element was.  Maybe I will try it with one.

I was thinking that I would be losing the high input impedance of the buffer if I simply tied the piezo input wires together.

Note: I prefer the sound of the under bridge mounting as opposed to the under saddle mounting.  I realize this gives me a little less gain and a bit less feedback resistance.

Archived