A great deal on some handmade guitars?

thetree4U

• Members

I have an reasonably expensive Avalon L32C... solid sitka/solid rosewood sides/back jumbo. I love this guitar.

I just saw that there are some other Avalons NEW on eBay that are being sold well below market. Check them out. The L series always means jumbo. Avalon used to be the same company as Lowden, but split several years ago. Fantastic guitars! Strings and wood in magical balance. (ALSO, I get nothing for saying this... really).

Check them out... everyone. It's called "Everything Music 4 Less" eBay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Everything-Music-4-Less_Acoustic-Guitars_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ6050784QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Here's an example of three Jumbos that are a little more budget priced, and believe me, these as amazingly, perturbingly priced hand-made in Northern Ireland guitars. All solid woods in every guitar except the Silver series (as labeled on storefront) Jumbos, grand auditoriums, dreadnaughts, concerts... There are guitars at all different price-point levels. Amazing!

JUMBO EXAMPLES:

L100 Gold series: Jumbo, solid Mahogany S/B/solid Sitka Spruce top

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalon-L100-Gold-Series-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180095760024QQcategoryZ2385QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

L100C Gold series: same as above with cutaway

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalon-L100c-Gold-Series-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180095760674QQcategoryZ2385QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

L201CE Gold series: Jumbo Cutaway with Electronics, solid Rosewood S/B/solid Red Cedar top

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalon-L201ce-Gold-Series-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180095761598QQcategoryZ2385QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I am not selling these guitars, and have nothing to do with their sale. But, I think they are some of the best guitars in the world. Thought someone should know.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Legacys are amazing. All Solid woods, handmade in Northern Ireland (they make 400 guitars a year!) Unbelievable price. Unbelievable sound.

When I play Taylors, I am duly impressed. They all sound great, and they all have a similar sound/tone... crystalline, brilliant. BUT, when I play Taylors I hear 80% strings, and 20% tonewood. With an Avalon, I hear a perfect balance of strings and tonewood.

If you can get to a dealer who has some and get your hands on one, you won't be disappointed. They are balanced. loud in any body style,.. and the body just purrs under your arms and against your chest. Amazing!

• Members

Oh crap.

This is the worst case of GAS I've experienced in some time... Got some dough headed my way and had JUST decided I am not going to buy any new instruments. If there's anything on the planet that might have tempted me out of my resolution, it's a freakin' affordable Avalon jumbo...

{censored}e.

Question: Why is the L-32C (rose/sitka cutaway) so much cheaper than the L-320 (rose/cedar non-cutaway)?

I think I am actually salivating...

• Members

Knockwood

L32c is from the Legacy range, the L320 is from the Legacy Premier Range - which is the absolute top of the range, though the differences are appointments like purfling, or in the selection of woods which may be available for custom builds, imho not really anything audible ( to my ears anyhow)

- but hey, if you've got it, flaunt it

this may be one itch you gotta scratch, and at those prices I don't see how you could lose money...:evil:;)

I can resist everything - except temptation. Oscar Wilde

• Members

L-320 has Red Cedar vs Sitka on the L-32C??? Commie Cedar is harder to get?

Edit: Missed Greymuzzle's post before I posted the bit of this post that I am now un-posting. Post post post. Brain is no worky.

My little ship comes in in three weeks. I'm going to have a very, very difficult time forgetting about this seller (he said, and then stored the site address in Favorites...)

• Members

Cripes

Some of the Red Cedar that Avalon use in top of the range stuff is Alaskan sourced and older, it is a lighter colour and is tighter than a very tight thing e.g.

the the sphincter of a retentive flea.

I know about the appearance 'cos there is one sitting here; the flea bit is, however, entirely anecdotal.

• Members

Knockwood

L32c is from the Legacy range, the L320 is from the Legacy Premier Range - which is the absolute top of the range, though the differences are appointments like purfling, or in the selection of woods which may be available for custom builds, imho not really anything audible ( to my ears anyhow)

- but hey, if you've got it, flaunt it

this may be one itch you gotta scratch, and at those prices I don't see how you could lose money...
:evil:;)

I can resist everything - except temptation. Oscar Wilde

Thanks for clarifying that, GM. I'm still a little mixed up about what top they're selling under the L320 heading. I've just emailed them to ask if they have an L-330 in stock (walnut). You're right - virtually no way to lose money. I'm a goner, I think.

• Members

The L320 is Sitka on top. L325 is Cedar. I don't know why the storefront listed it that way. As was said before, the Legacy Premier series differs from the Legacy Standard series mostly in cosmetics (and some wow-factor), but not so much in sound/tone. They would both be considered high-high end, but with one a little more pretty than the other... but certainly not as gaudy as a Blueridge.

Not sure there are any walnuts available in this listing... at this price.

The Gold series listed (unless otherwise noted to be Northern Ireland made) are made for Avalon by Furch in Czechoslovakia. They are some of the most beautiful looking and awesome sounding instruments I have heard. Not kidding. There are 3 jumbos available at killer prices in the Golds: L100, L100C (both spruce/mahaogany), and L201CE (cedar/rosewood/fishman prefix). Price range is $679-929. Perfectly incredible. If I had any extra money at all, I'd snag as many as I could get my hands on.

Also, Avalons are incredibly loud. So even an A series Grand Auditorium has terrific projection, great balance and those curvaceous lines! Zounds! The best grand auditorium I played in all of metro San Diego (high end shops) last weekend (Taylors, Santa Cruz, Martin, Guild, Larivee, etc...) was the Gold A series from Avalon. And an A200CE comes with the Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend system... the guitar sounded amazing plugged in!

Obviously I am a believer in this product. I just thought that it would be helpful to note that an Avalon A series projects like a jumbo in most other lines.

• Members

The L320 is Sitka on top. L325 is Cedar. I don't know why the storefront listed it that way. As was said before, the Legacy Premier series differs from the Legacy Standard series mostly in cosmetics (and some wow-factor), but not so much in sound/tone. They would both be considered high-high end, but with one a little more pretty than the other... but certainly not as gaudy as a Blueridge.

Thank you for putting this thread up. I'm practically freakin' hyperventilating...

Looks like the Premier series uses pieced necks vs. the solid necks on the rest of their line. That'd be worth the bump in price to me. Bling alone would not.

• Members

Knockwood

Hate to make it worse for you, but you are so right about the worth of the multi part neck. My son's L32c custom build has a seven peice neck, not only does it look stunning but I'm certain that it's strength and immobility really contribute to the sound, particularly the sustain.

Just be aware that while these are jumbos that they don't really sound like any of the American jumbos that I've heard from the big manufacturers; but if you want a jumbo that can do ethereal as well as 'big'...

Ethereal might be handy for a few wooing ballads to bring a lady round to the purchase, along with flowers, a frock etc

At least you'd discover if you really needed a walnut one :evil::lol:

• Members

Knockwood

Hate to make it worse for you, but you are so right about the worth of the multi part neck. My son's L32c custom build has a seven peice neck, not only does it look stunning but I'm certain that it's strength and immobility really contribute to the sound, particularly the sustain.

Just be aware that while these are jumbos that they don't really sound like any of the American jumbos that I've heard from the big manufacturers; but if you want a jumbo that can do ethereal as well as 'big'...

Ethereal might be handy for a few wooing ballads to bring a lady round to the purchase, along with flowers, a frock etc

At least you'd discover if you really needed a walnut one
:evil::lol:

Have never played an Avalon jumbo, but have played a Lowden O-32 and an F-12, both of which made me want to frickin' weep. I've described them to a friend as being not quite guitars at all, just some completely separate and distinct and in some respects more highly evolved although clearly related animal... I think "ethereal" is absolutely the perfect adjective.

On multi-part necks, I've always like them both visually and qualitatively. There was an interesting bit in a recent issue of AG... I will quote this badly because I'm not that familiar with the guitarist who was being interviewed and in any case I have a mind like a sieve... Anyway... This particular guy uses a lot of alternate tunings, and he was talking about a trick he'd developed to cut down the time he spends retuning onstage: He memorizes the number of knob turns between tunings and cranks by the numbers during applause so he's very close to in-tune by the time the noise dies down. And he mentions that getting in and staying in tune is a much faster operation with a multi-piece neck (his main git is an Olson), because they don't shift... This would never have occurred to me in a million years, but it makes a lot of sense. This isn't my reason for liking them (I almost never play live), but it's one more... I like the visually attractive, no-warp, uber-strong attributes.

As for bringing a lady around to the purchase... now there's a sobering thought. Not sure my playing could accomplish that. I tend to prefer lying about the price... :D

• Members

Good question DaJazzMan.

Legacy Premier series L315, L320... etc. Northern Ireland. (all 300 levels are Premier... their top of the line). (Available in Jumbo (L), Grand Auditorium (A), Dreadnaught (D), and Concert (S) body shapes). All solid woods. World-class sound and finish details.

http://www.avalonguitars.co.uk/shop/index.cfm?do=shop&action=range&id=13

Legacy Standard series L10, A25, D32C, etc. ... Northern Ireland. (all 10, 12, 25, 32 are Legacy Standards) (Available in (L), (A), (D), (S) body shapes). All solid woods. World-class sound, and beautiful finish details.

http://www.avalonguitars.co.uk/shop/index.cfm?do=shop&action=range&id=1

http://www.avalonguitars.co.uk/shop/index.cfm?do=shop&action=range&id=2

http://www.avalonguitars.co.uk/shop/index.cfm?do=shop&action=range&id=3

http://www.avalonguitars.co.uk/shop/index.cfm?do=shop&action=range&id=4

Gold series like A100, D101, S200C, L201CE, etc... handmade by Furch for Avalon in Czech Republic for the last 2-3 years. (they all have an abalone rosette) (typical numbering 100s and 200s) (Available in (L), (A), (D), (S) body shapes). All solid woods. Fantastic finish and sound.

http://www.avalonguitars.com/index.cfm?do=guitars&gid=26

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalon-A100CE-Gold-Series-Electric-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180095538965QQcategoryZ2385QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Gold series Northern Ireland A100, D101, S200C, L201CE, etc... handmade in NI are marked as such, and have a wood rosette, and are in general a little plainer looking. All solid woods. Fantastic sound, plainer details.

http://www.avalonguitars.com/index.cfm?do=guitars&gid=26

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalon-A200CE-Gold-Series-Acoustic-Guitar-Ireland-Made_W0QQitemZ180095766740QQcategoryZ2385QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Some NI Golds have an abalone rosette, but most don't.

Silver series DS200, AS201CE, etc... are 100s and 200s numbering, always with an "S" (for Silver) after the body shape. So a DS200CE is a dreadnaught (D), Silver (S), laminate rosewood sides/back, solid spruce top, cutaway © with electronix (E). Available in every shape except jumbo (L). All Silvers have solid tops and laminate side/back.

http://www.avalonguitars.com/index.cfm?do=guitars&gid=9

Hope that helps.

• Members

I sent an email to the seller today asking if these guitars were factory seconds or refurbished and got a replay saying they were "brand new" Not sure that answered my question as obviously a second can also be brand new. Emailed again tonight repeating the question but haven't received a response yet. Also asked if he had an S small body in cedar & rosewood and was told that what was listed was what he had. Thanks much for posting this, may well buy one in the morning.

Anyone played one of these and familiar with the neck profiles? Thanks.

• Members

You know, after I saw Richard Thompson in Ohio last month, I had this huge Lowden/Avalon jones going and was actually looking at this same seller's wares on eBay. They have now listed many more models.

I had that pulse quickening, sweaty palm, foot twitching thing going on. After several days of this, and at the suggestion of my lovely wife, I "got over it". Now this. Why? Why? Why? :cry:

• Members

You know, after I saw Richard Thompson in Ohio last month, I had this huge Lowden/Avalon jones going and was actually looking at this same seller's wares on eBay. They have now listed many more models.

I had that pulse quickening, sweaty palm, foot twitching thing going on. After several days of this, and at the suggestion of my lovely wife, I "got over it". Now this. Why? Why? Why?
:cry:

That is exactly where I am now (not the "over it" part). When talking to myself, I have actually begun muttering "shite" instead of "shit."

Massive jones.

I am not sure whether it's a good or bad thing that I cannot do a thing about it for at least a week. Can my GAS maintain focus for a week? Will I have a fit of reason (snicker)?

Faheyfan,

I was also wondering if these might be seconds, just because the prices seem so nutty. But how could there possibly be this many seconds in one place, spanning so many models? Seems unlikely. I hope it's unlikely.

Shite.

• Members

I have been interacting with Avalon for several weeks now. I'm pretty sure they are liquidating the NEW (not seconds) US inventory to bring in new stuff eventually. I know they do not want these guitars sitting in a warehouse.

Also, Avalon calls all "factory seconds" B-Stock. None of these are that. They are new, made in the places I indicated before. :thu:

The reason I know this is because I am a neurotic value shopper an have been on Avalon's forum for a couple of months, talking with luthiers, reps and dealers, playing guitars... dreaming, lusting, drooling, and then finally buying. One of the really cool things about Avalon is that you can interact with the senior luthiers there! :thu:

A Cedar/Rosewood combo would be a:

Silver series: none in this less expensive line.

Gold series S201, S201C (cutaway), S201CE (cutaway with electronics)

Legacy Std. series S25, S25C

Legacy Premier series S325, S805

I did not see any in this configuration on the site. The A201CE is a slightly larger body (not big by any definition), with solid Cedar top, Rosewood sides/back, and Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend electonics (the best in my opinion). $929. Unbelievable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avalon-A201ce-Gold-Series-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180095750162QQcategoryZ2385QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Not a lot of S-Concert shapes in this batch. Sorry. The A's are fantastic though. :love:

• Members

Got an answer to my email from last night. I only asked two questions. 1- Are these factory seconds or refurbished? 2- What is your 800 number in case I decide to buy and want to pay by credit card by phone? I received the phone number but NO reference at all to my first question. Going to call this afternoon and ask directly so the question will be answered. I don't want to find out these were damaged in shipping or something, repaired and then sold, even though they would still technically be brand new, that is, not previously sold to a consumer.

Archived