Does anyone enjoy acoustic blues?

jerime

• Members

There are some great contemporary players who are continuing the tradition of the masters. A name I would add to that list without hesitation is Kelly Joe Phelps.

Yup. Kelly Joe Phelps is the best alive, to my ears. He can definitely play real blues, although his last few records have drifted towards the folk/storytelling end of the spectrum. I would also add Chris Whitley to the list, as well. Certain tracks off of his "Perfect Day" recording are most certainly examples of the most authentic acoustic blues played in the last 25 years. Alvin Hart is also a favorite of mine for his "Big Mama's Door" record. Paul Geremia is an incredible ragtime blues player, although he is from the 60's. Harry Manx is incredible, and his slide playing is wonderful.

In terms of the old timers, I would also add Mance Lipscomb - king of the "Dumb" thumb who was the reason I retired my pick after years of playing. Pete Wilkins. Pink Anderson. Blind Willie Johnson and his beautiful gospel blues. Snooks Eaglin.

• Members

Get the lastest Rory Block cd "The Lady and Mr Johnson". Compare with "Eric and Mr Johnson". Then get the RJ box set, tune down to G, put a broken wine bottle (or Craftsman socket) on your pinkie, go down to the Crossroads, and play some blues.

Tomorrow night I'm gonna be there to hear Rory Block. Binghamton, NY. Night Eagle Cafe. :thu: It's a coffee house. (They don't serve beer.:mad: )

• Members

A new one (at least to me) I found off the KWS 10 Days Out CD/DVD, Buddy Flett. At first when I heard it for some reason I thought it was Sonnyboy Edwards. Here's a link for a youtube video of his,

I just checked out the vid--that was damned cool! Acoustic blues the way I like it, a solo acoustic guitar, no other BS, no BS period--just straight ahead non pretentious gritty, rockin blues! And no ugly voice ruining it all!!! He has a cool voice. Thanks for clueing me in on this dude. I dug it a lot, and am adding it my favorites. I need to learn to use a slide and try to learn to play like this.

• Members
Tomorrow night I'm gonna be there to hear Rory Block. Binghamton, NY. Night Eagle Cafe.
:thu:
It's a coffee house. (They don't serve beer.
:mad:
)

When you come back down to earth, post a report.

My wife gave me second row center seats to see her a couple of years ago, small venue. She told the wonderful story about selecting her socket, and the early days of playing with Mississippi Fred and Gary Davis. I can promise you that you'll enjoy the show.

• Members
Tomorrow night I'm gonna be there to hear Rory Block. Binghamton, NY. Night Eagle Cafe.
:thu:
It's a coffee house. (They don't serve beer.
:mad:
)

That's less than an hour and a half down the road, hmm. The wife is not nuts about Rory, it would be better if she was fat and ugly.;)

• Members

Acoustic blues has been, until recently, something I just couldn't get down right. It has a cadence that differs from the neo-classical I usually play that was difficult for me to transition to. But, lately I have been taking the time to work on it and it's coming pretty well and becoming fun to noodle around with.
The dead-thumb technique, easier than alternating, is what I'm working on now.

• Members

That's less than an hour and a half down the road, hmm. The wife is not nuts about Rory, it would be better if she was fat and ugly.
;)

oooooh. I know what you mean. I fell in love with her pictur...er....music in Gone Woman Blues. But she looks like she's in some kind of serious relationship with her guitar in the cover picture. My wife...a blonde...always looked with a scowl at the brunette in the picture. But she's going with me tonight. So it should be interesting.

:)

• Members
oooooh. I know what you mean. I fell in love with her pictur...er....music in Gone Woman Blues. But she looks like she's in some kind of serious relationship with her guitar in the cover picture. My wife...a blonde...always looked with a scowl at the brunette in the picture. But she's going with me tonight. So it should be interesting.

:)

I have never understood why wives are jealous of good looking female celebrities. It is not like one of them is going to track me down and ask me to run away with her. Ya know. :confused:

Though I do keep a suitcase handy in case Sandra Bullock knocks on the door one day. ;)

• Members

My wife gets this smug look of "I know you love her" on her face anytime I hear Alison Krauss. In all honesty, it's her voice...voice of an angel..hehehehe Luckily my wife reached a point years back where other women became just an afterthought; even now she'll point out a hottie for me; like I would ever miss one. "Oh her? Yeah, she's a knockout; I didn't even notice." :D

• Members
My wife gets this smug look of "I know you love her" on her face anytime I hear Alison Krauss. In all honesty, it's her voice...voice of an angel..hehehehe Luckily my wife reached a point years back where other women became just an afterthought; even now she'll point out a hottie for me; like I would ever miss one. "Oh her? Yeah, she's a knockout; I didn't even notice."
:D

When we went to see Alison I was more infactuated with Jerry Douglas. Maybe that isn't the right word, eh?

• Members
When we went to see Alison I was more infactuated with Jerry Douglas. Maybe that isn't the right word, eh?

Dead on, Freeman, that's for pimply-faced high school boys (like my 14 year-old son, although he's been spared zits so far). You were "enraptured" BY Jerry, not "infatuated" WITH him! :D

• Members

Returning to the original question, Kenny Neal and Billy Branch's "Double Take" album is brilliant. Acoustic albums of Buddy Guy and Junior Wells are also great IMHO.

Nowhere near the old Robert Johnson, Big Bill Broonzy, Tampa Red, Scrapper Blackwell and Muddy Waters (on Complete Plantation Recordings) though...

Archived